Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Tweak Guide

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

For those of you with Win XP, I found this 170 page PDF format tweak guide. It has a lot of good information and is well worth the download.

http://www.tweakguides.com/XPTC.html
There is no justice, there is just us.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, Ronbo.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:52 PM

YES, that is well worth it, and thank you. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the guide.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 yuppiesellout

yuppiesellout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:08 PM

O'Reily books (the ones with all the screwed up aminals on the covers) has a book entitled "Windows Xp annoyances for Geeks" that is also pretty handy. It is at times fairly elementary, but there is a substantial amount of information for those of us that don't mind turning pages in a *ech* real book.

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

Ditto Ronbo, Thanks, nice guide.

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 30 March 2005 - 05:22 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#7 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

I would reccomend xp tune 1.5

and following the service suggestions at www.blackviper.com

wng
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, Zone Alarm firewall, Spyware Blaster, Type faster!!

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005

#8 noregret

noregret

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

Thanks and really comprehensive.

#9 Ronbo

Ronbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

Thanks everybody. I have been gone for the last few weeks and it really makes me feel good to come back and see that people are appreciating this guide. When I first came across the guide I was astonished at the amount of basic information it contains about Windows XP and had to share the find with people who may find it useful. I didn't post the link to the guide because of the tweaks it contains, but because I feel that novice and intermediate XP users could really learn a lot about their systems if they took the time to read this guide, the tweaks it contains are just the icing on the cake to me.

My first thought about it when I read it was that if you removed the word "tweaking" from the title, here was the user guide that Microsoft should be shipping with all its copies of WinXP.

I posted it on a couple of other sites and it was pretty well ignored and quickly dropped out of sight on the forums, one of the sites moved it to the advanced topic forums and then the forums moderators proceeded to carry on about how XP is such a fine OS that there really is no need to do any tweaking to it. I can tell they never even looked at the guide to realize that the main thrust of the guide is to teach people about how XP operates and not necessarily about tweaking your system.

Of all the sites I posted the link at, only Bleeping Computer saw the potential for teaching people about their OS that this guide contains.

My kudos to BC and to whoever made this thread a sticky so others can use and learn from it.

And as long as I am here, the guide has been updated to version 1.05 since I originally posted it so you may want to update your copy of it.

Edited by Ronbo, 17 April 2005 - 01:31 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#10 c3L

c3L

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:27 AM

hey, i downloaded the free version of the guide but was unable to open it with adobe?? ne tips?

#11 Dennis1

Dennis1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:02 AM

Hi and thanks for the guide, looks a very good d/load.
cheers Dennis :thumbsup:

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:50 PM

hey, i downloaded the free version of the guide but was unable to open it with adobe?? ne tips?

Did you unzip it first?

#13 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:23 AM

thanks! :thumbsup:

#14 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:30 AM

re:message portion from RONBO:

My first thought about it when I read it was that if you removed the word "tweaking" from the title, here was the user guide that Microsoft should be shipping with all its copies of WinXP.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSoft dont like end users to know too much about their OS....like why tech supports never tell you why a problem occured and how to fix it. they will fix it and guide you through it but never explain too much...they are scared of losing too much money on tech support help lines from novices...

.if thier customers can fix their own problems we will lose money!...I'm sure thats how the fat cats think!!!!! thanks again I'm looking forward to the read!!!!! :-)

#15 AkaAlias

AkaAlias

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:44 AM

Yeah this guide is great, i've got it to and it does help alot whenever i need to make a fresh install of XP.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users