Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Explorer Repeatedly Crashes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JacobV_*

Guest_JacobV_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:21 AM

It is usually when I open my external hard drives. The computer will slow down/ freeze and then give me the 'an error occured, windows explorer needs to close' error with a send and dont send option. Clicking either option will make everything disappear for a second and then reappear, minus the explorer windows.

I have run AVG AV and AS, superantispyware, and ad-aware, spybot search & destroy in normal and safe mode. They came back with a few infections that I cleaned and rebooted. I started the process for posting in the HJT log and malware removal thread.. Running housecall (found 98 infections), panda, bitdefender, and mcafee stinger and added a better firewall. I re-run each program until it comes back clean, it has taken about 4 days. I have two external hard drives (160gb and 500gb) hooked up but the cpu only has a 2.00ghz processor and 512 ram..

I am unable to complete the next step, updating windows. I go to the update site, it tells me I need Office 2003, .net Framework 2.0, and a third update. The updates download fine but will not install, the installation fails everytime.

I hope this is in the right forum, I am trying to stop my windows explorer windows from crashing over and over. I dont know if I should post in the HJT without being able to complete all the steps. If you can help me please do or get me pointed in the right direction..

I want cut and paste the above about 3 other problems I have, I hope this is the right place to do so.

- Windows updates have started failing
-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hello JacobV and welcome to BC :flowers:

I dont know if I should post in the HJT without being able to complete all the steps.

Folks frequently cannot complete all the steps, and in the posts it is important to say what worked and didn't. Having said that, let's see if your computer can be disinfected in this forum without the HiJack This because that forum is extremely busy right now.

I want cut and paste the above about 3 other problems I have

Please explain what these problems are in a reply to this thread as they are probably related. If they aren't we'll point you in the right direction.

You've provided a lot of useful information; however, you neglected to tell us what your operating system is: Windows XP, Vista etc.

In your next reply
  • let us know what your operating system is
  • state what your additional three problems are and
  • post your SUPERAntiSpyware log.
For the latter, please let us know whether you ran SUPERAntiSpyware in Safe Mode or Normal Mode.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Guest_JacobV_*

Guest_JacobV_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:59 AM

I ran SuperAntiSpyware in Normal mode and I have XP. The scan is below. My problems completing the HJT prep guide were these
- My installation of windows updates fail. They download fine and take time trying to install but they will fail to install in the end.
- After scanning with HouseCall antivirus, it wants me to pay to fix them. I was going to install the freeware but I thought you are only supposed to have one antivirus and I am using AVG AV. Should I install the Housecall anyway?

The PC problems I mentioned were
- Windows updates failing to install
- Windows Media Player Network process hogging CPU usage and going up to as much as 100,000k when I view process in task manager
- I need Xbox support for this last one but I will mention it. Streaming pictures and audio to the xbox360 works fine but trying to select videos leads to a "connection with your computer is lost". I'll retry about 10-15 times and it will eventually "catch" but not understanding why and not knowing if it's on the computer or 360 end.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/08/2008 at 05:01 AM

Application Version : 4.0.1154

Core Rules Database Version : 3416
Trace Rules Database Version: 1408

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 03:39:25

Memory items scanned : 397
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5225
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 96371
File threats detected : 24

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@adopt.specificclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@rotator.adjuggler[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@adjuggler[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@tacoda[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@pandasoftware.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@adinterax[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@tribalfusion[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@edge.ru4[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@adopt.euroclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@ads.revsci[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@ar.atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@overture[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@ad.us-ec.adtechus[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@dmtracker[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@revsci[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@cracked[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@247realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Cookies\home@atwola[1].txt

Adware.Vundo Variant/Rel
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MCRH.TMP

Thanks so much

Jacob

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:24 AM

Hello JacobV,

After scanning with HouseCall antivirus, it wants me to pay to fix them. I was going to install the freeware but I thought you are only supposed to have one antivirus and I am using AVG AV. Should I install the Housecall anyway?

You are correct that you should have only one Antivirus program installed. What you should have been running is an ON-LINE scan. It does install some virus definitions and ActiveX if using IE or Java Applets if using Firefox. During the scan, you need to temporarily deactivate your AV - and don't do anything else with the internet while the scan is in process. After scanning, reactivate the AV.

Your SUPERAntiSpyware log shows that you have or had some Vundo infection. To make sure it's all gone, please follow the steps in this guide. If you have any questions as you go through it, please ask as a reply to this thread. Once you have completed the guide, please post the Vundofix log as a reply to this thread.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Guest_JacobV_*

Guest_JacobV_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hey Thanks for your time, I was able to fix the Windows Explorer crashing. It mostly happened when opening my external hard drives, especially my Movie folders.

I found this answer on a Techpowerup.com forum

"It's AVI files causing the problem. It happens when explorer tries to preview them. You can shut off previewing, and it goes away.

Open a run box, and type this:

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll"

That worked like a charm for me. I'm thinking it's because I uninstalled my codec packs.

Anyway I did run the Vundo fix, the log is below. I never had any symptoms of the Vundo virus even though SuperAntispy found it in a scan.

VundoFix V7.0.1

Scan started at 12:07:25 AM 3/10/2008

Listing files found while scanning....

C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOSH.DLL
C:\windows\system32\uxfepass.dllbox

Beginning removal...

Attempting to delete C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOSH.DLL
C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOSH.DLL Has been deleted!

Attempting to delete C:\windows\system32\uxfepass.dllbox
C:\windows\system32\uxfepass.dllbox Has been deleted!

Performing Repairs to the registry.
Done!

My next problem (should I go to a new forum?) is that windows updates fail every time. It downloads the .net 2.0 update, the MS Office 2003 update and a security update but the installation fails...Also, running a program that uses the .net framework also fails. Trying to uninstall and reinstall doesn't seem to help..

Thanks a lot

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hello JacobV,

I'm glad that some things are looking better. I'm going to have someone more experienced look over this thread. It is possible that there are malware issues causing your windows update problems.

In the meantime, because I see that SuperAntiSpyware found and removed a lot of tracking cookies, I encourage you to read the following about cookies and work to block such cookies.

Tracking cookies are not a threat, but there are privacy concerns. Tracking cookies are a kind of third party cookie. You can read more about the kind of cookies and how to block unwanted cookies in IE in the in this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=702871

The links he provides will tell you how to block third party cookies in IE.

You can set up Firefox to block unwanted and unneeded cookies this way:

Click on Tools --> Options --> Privacy

Make sure there is a check mark by "Accept Cookies from Sites." Then in the box just below, make sure the window says "Ask me every time."

What this will do is that every time a site wants to put a cookie on your computer, a little window will pop up asking you if you want to accept it. The first time it shows up, click on "Show details". From then on, except when you reinstall Firefox or in some instances update it, the details will always be shown. There you can see who wants to put it on your computer and whether it is a session cookie or a permanent cookie.

You can add the site to your black list or white list by putting a check mark Use my choice for all cookies from this site and clicking on Deny which adds it to the black list or Allow for session or Allow. The latter choice means that any permanent cookies will stay on your computer until they expire or you delete them. The former choice means that the cookies will always go away when you close your browser. Either way, the sites will be added to the white list.

You can see what cookies are installed by clicking on the Show Cookies button on the privacy screen where you set the cookie options. When you click on Exceptions you will see the list of sites blocked from or permitted to set cookies. You can manually add sites to the block or allow list here, and you can also remove sites from the list.

Security programs such as Spywareblaster - prevents spyware from being installed on your PC. - Tutorial: Using SpywareBlaster will add many sites to the block list to protect you from tracking cookies.

Orange Blossom

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hello ,I have 2 possible suggestions to try.
1. Turn off auto updates
Right click on My Computer / Properties / Auto Updates tab / select Turn off automatic updates.
Click apply,
Then you can manually update the machine, one at a time.

2. Temporarily disable your firewall while downloading and installing.
Be sure that Windows Update is the only place you go while disabled.
If all goes well,OR not,re enable firewall.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users