Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Uninstall A Program Called Protection Control Center

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mykuki

mykuki

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

Hello, I need to uninstall a program called Protection Control Center from my PC because it stopped working. It's an Earthlink antivirus/firewall. I went through add/remove but get the error msg that setup.exe encountered a problem and it has to close. I read on another thread here that maybe installing the original program can help. I dowloaded the program again from Earthlink.net. Installed it. It looked like it was going to work and then got the msg that my PC needed to reboot. Once it came up I looked everwhere for the program and can't find it. No icon on the desktop or in programs. I tried it twice and it wont work. I contact the earthlink chat live help and they're trying to sell me norton (which I already have and don't like) Can someone help please?

THanks

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum and Added Topic Description.~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 07 March 2008 - 12:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:24 AM

So is this Protection Control Centre removed from your PC now? (Sorry i am a little bit confused :thumbsup:)

Regards,
David.

#3 mykuki

mykuki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

The program looks like it's removed because the desktop icon is gone and so is the entry under start/all programs. WHen I look in add/remove it's still there. I click on the remove option and that's when I get the error that setup.exe encountered a problem. So I guess the program is kind of gone? There is no way for me to launch it. With the help of an Earthlink rep I removed the registry entries and was told that that was going to remove the appearance in add/remove but it didn't.
Any help would be appreciated.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

You may read thru this Tutorial for informatio on:
How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mykuki

mykuki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

I read the tutorial and followed the steps and sadly the program still appears on the Add/remove programs list. I restored to a time when my PC was running properly and I still could not get the program to run or remove or anything.
Any other suggestions? I don't want to wipe out the entire PC and start from scratch.
Thanks

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Can you reinstall the application? If so, then reinstall. Once it's installed go into safe mode and then try your uninstall from add remove in safe mode.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 mykuki

mykuki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:51 PM

I download the program to my desktop and then install it. I get the msg to reboot. Once I reboot I cannot find where the program was installed. No icon on the desktop or on the start all programs button.

Thanks

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

May or may not help. Start button and then search, files and folders. It should find it. At that point you have several options. It also might be a Zip. Go to My Documents and do a little snooping; you will find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users