Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop's Mouse Runs Away!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

OK, I've been trying figure out what's going on with my wife's laptop. For a couple months now, the mouse cursor on her laptop will simply run away to the top right or bottom left corners of the screen, and stays there for up to a minute. I've tried updating the software, and tried using a different mouse, all to no avail.

The problem occurs with both the built in touch pad, and any external mouse that is attached via USB port.

All I can think of is that there is something wrong with the hardware, rather than the software, but wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas before I try to find someone to look at it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hi gkazule.
What's the make and model of this laptop?
Laptops with both a stick and touchpad combined on the keyboard do that more then models with only one pointing device.
The "workaround" is to disable one or the other via the bios or software. (depending on the model)
Faulty video drivers, malware, a defective touchpad and certain software will cause that behavior too.
Let us know.

#3 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

I can't remember the exact model of the laptop, but it is a Dell with only a touchpad, no stick.

Edited by gkazule, 09 March 2008 - 07:21 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

You probably need to reinstall the touch pad driver. When you plugged in the USB mouse did you disable the touch pad? That's what I had to do on an Inspiron I just worked on.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

I tried to find a driver for her mouse pad, but the one I found hasn't solved the issue. The mouse cursor still runs away, but now it will sometimes also freeze in place. I'll try to find another driver for it.

#6 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

I've been looking on Dell's website, and can't find any drivers for the touchpad that work any better. I also can't identify the touchpad for sure. (ie, my gpu is an 8800gtx, I can't find similar info on the touchpad)

#7 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

It might also be a hardare issue with the touchpad itself. If you disable the touchpad and use an external mouse, does the problem stop?

#8 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:06 AM

Sorry for the long delay. Disabling the touchpad doesn't seem to help either, nor do any of the drivers I have found. Looks like I'll probably have to take it in to someone who knows more about fixing computers than I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users