Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is The New Version Of Windows.....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dave.raf

dave.raf

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

known as windows 7?

There appears to be more than seven windows releases!

Ta :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

I don't know. Im going to venture a guess that "7" was thier lucky number. Thier seventh Operating System was Windows XP if I am not mistaken.

Because Vista chrashed and burned I think they are trying to build Windows 7 off of XP to HOPEFULLY get something good =/

Or becuase 7 is kool :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

Maybe they just count differently, or more likely, they can't count... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

It's sorta a codename. Vista was 6, XP was 5, then yea we know what was 4, 3, and 2 lol

It's other codename is Vienna. They're based on place names methinks like uhmm was Vista Blackhorn? Something odd like that.
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:13 AM

Longhorn was the codename - but it applies to much more than just Vista.

There were great arguments in the "old days" about the numbering of Windows editions (and their relationship to DOS editions).

Here's a bunch of links to help (or further confuse) the issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_versions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Micro...indows_versions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Micro...tware_codenames
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Ah yea, that was it.
I have a very bad memory!

I suppose we'll never really know anything until it's published. MS always confuse us.
I watched a short video clip about it too. Even the guy talking kept saying different things.
I don't think they know themselves! :thumbsup:

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Perhaps they expect to spend 7 years working on it?

Apparently, they're building a new kernel from the ground up, something called "minwin". Stripping out all the excess code, really slimming things down to the bare metal.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

I have the real answer!

Way back near the dawn of time, there was Windows 1.0. No one used it so they made 2.0. No one used that so they made Windows 3.0(then 3.1 and 3.11). People sort of liked it so they rewrote Windows from the ground up producing Windows 3.5, the first version based on the NT kernel. What followed was Windows NT 4.0 (even though it was only the second NT built). After that came Windows NT 5 (AKA Windows 2000) then Windows NT 5.1 (AKA Windows XP) and finally Windows NT 6 (AKA Vista). Thus, Windows 7 is more accurately called Windows NT 7. They don't even count the whole 9x series.

#9 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

I sorta already said that.. lol!

#10 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

It's a release version I think. When you start command prompt, it tells you vista is version 6.0.0.6.0.0 or something like that. So Windows 7 (Milestone is the codename at the moment) is just the 7th release version.

Thanks,
n0data

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users