Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Assisted Emulation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kd7jit

kd7jit

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hello All,

Recently bought a new computer Dell Lat D630 /w 4 GB of RAM XP Pro core 2 duo 1.8 Ghz.

It came with the Hardware assisted Emulation disabled in the bios. and this begs the question why? Does having it on pose a performance/security issue? Its kinda nice to have on to emulate Vista with (actually makes virtual PC '07 usable).

Please and Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

Well...I suppose that if the option exists in the BIOS...and is not the default...the inference has to be that the vast majority of users who would purchase said system...would not necessarily employ that feature.

The fact that the feature exists is an indication some percentage of users probably would employ such...and would activate such via the BIOS/CMOS settings...in much the same manner that some of us never even enter the BIOS (unless forced to) while some of us tweak our systems in various ways...by modifying default CMOS settings.

I don't think there's any mystery there.

Example: I have motherboards which offer RAID as a BIOS/CMOS option. To set such option as the default...would be utterly confusing to most users (since they won't employ a RAID), but the option exists for users who do want to employ such.

Additional features are designed for the few, defaults are designed for the many. That's my take on such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users