Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Builder?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

I've been thinking about becoming a system builder, and was wondering, would I need permission to use computer parts like CPUs from Intel in order to sell them as part as a computer?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hmm, I don't think so. I've been thinking about being a builder myself. I think you buy it for the customer and resell it to them, whitch is how you make your profit.

Don't quote me on this, im not sure. =/
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

You will need to check the laws in your state. If you buy wholesale or at a reduced cost and sell the product at a profit you will need a vendors license. If you offer a service ( Charging labor only) depending on how much profit you accrue during the year (usually anything over 500) you will need to register as a legitimate business and file taxes for said business. Filing these is easy to do at your local court house and the fees are small usually only 25.00

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 OmegamB

OmegamB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for all your help.

One more question: Whats a good fee for labor?

Posted Image

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:23 AM

10.00 less than everyone else in your area. Charge a bench fee to cover diagnostics and the first hour then charge and hourly after that. Depending on your clientel if its a big repair always get them to sign an estimate before you order a bunch of parts. If they don't pay you get to keep the computer (make sure thats written on the estimate) verbal contracts won't hold up in small claims court. Anything less than 50.00 is a total loss since it cost 50.00 just to file a claim in court. YMMV

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users