Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading OS (2000) with external cd rom

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Masonite

Masonite

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:39 AM

I have a dell that was imaged before when the company was owned by other people. It just had the HD replaced and I need toload the OS back on but all it has is a floppy drive. I have an external cd rom drive so far no luck trying to have a windows 98 boot disk load the cd rom drivers for it. Any help would be appreciated. I am not very good with DOS command at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:13 AM

Have you tried starting your computer with the Win98 cd directly in the cdrom? What kind of cdrom drive is it? USB,scsi, parallel?

#3 Masonite

Masonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:43 AM

I am actually trying to load windows 2000 and yes I have tried that but it doesn't load any drivers for this USB external cd rom drive.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:21 AM

You may want to try the windows xp bootdisk that can be found at http://www.bootdisk.com. It has very generic cdrom drivers that "may" work.

You should also be able to go to the website for the manufacturer of the drive and find the dos drivers for that drive.

#5 dudeman

dudeman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:07 PM

All the external is... is an internal cdrom with a special case on it. so you could take off the case, install the cdrom into your comp and put it back when you are done. or leave it if you want to. thats what manufacturers do. they have an over stock of an item or came out with a better one. so they design a case to go around the older ones and sell them as externals.

#6 Masonite

Masonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:42 PM

Yes I tried the Boot disks for windows 2000 (after boot up it wants to find the cd rom with OS on it and still can;t find cd rom drive) and the manf. of the cd rom drive . No luck there. They don't have DOS drivers.

#7 Masonite

Masonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:44 PM

Okay I will try the XP disks and if that fails just make cd rom drive internal :thumbsup:. Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users