Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Read 3.5" Floppy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hi, all of a sudden my system can't read one of my 3.5's, but it can still read my other dozen flops.
When I insert the rogue disk and try to read it, nothing happens, the drive mechanism just ticks and whirrs with the hourglass but the screen stays blank until the message eventually appears "Disk is not formatted", or sometimes "No disk in drive"
Needless to say, it is formatted and it is in the drive.
Luckliy I backed it up a while ago but there's still some new stuff on it, and unless I can access the disk, it's lost forever.
Any ideas?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

Floppies are notorious for reliability. Your disk is likely shot.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:53 PM

Billy's probably right...but the one thing you can try to make the disk readable...is to run chkdsk /r on it from My Computer.

Just right-click on the A: drive from My Computer...select Properties...click Tools tab, push Check Now, check marks in both boxes, etc. Should not take too long to complete.

If there is anything on the disk which is readable, this should make it readable from the drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users