Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking/sharing Files Imac & Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tuni

tuni

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

A pretty new user to the Apple OS, have Leopard 10.5.2 on my iMac. Am unable to see my XP computer on the iMac - have set up file sharing etc...and read/reviewed and tried many solutions without resolution. The XP CAN see the iMac but the iMac does NOT show the XP. I checked Zone alarm on my XP and the iMac addy is in the trusted zone. The iMac icon also shows in the networking site on the XP. The iMac shows no network or file sharing with the XP.

The iMac is connected via ethernet cable, the XP is wireless using Linksys. both can access the internet without problems. They just don't seem to be able to share files.

Would appreciate any help. Have contacted Applecare without resolution, and have alsotried onetoone training from the Apple retailstore without success.

thx for any simple guidance to assist.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

Can you ping the Windows box?
Posted Image

#3 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

As long as you have basic network connectivity between the iMac and XP (ie. ping works), then it's time to look at the XP box's file sharing setup. What does "net config server" say? Ditto for "net config workstation". Do you perhaps have ZA blocking file sharing on XP explicitly?

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:25 PM

This may, or may not be an option for you.

But I use a Western digital external hard drive formated fat 32, to share files between my windows machine and Mac. I constantly move large files from one machine to the storage unit (WD) where they can be transferred to the other machine. It Just takes a little longer.
No problems yet. Knock on wood. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users