Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Claims Noadware Is Rogue...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

for whatever reason, Spybot keeps telling me that NoAdware 4.0 is rogue. is it correct, or is this a false positive lurking around? I'm no stranger to false positives; at one time, one part of my anti-malware armada insisted that mIRC was a trojan(although it stopped after the next database update)...

I want to make sure, before I nuke it, even if I haven't used it in a while...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

Here's their website. It appears to be legit though it is shareware. Most of us would rather use freeware.

http://www.noadware.net/?hop=neil1000

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

given that this claim made by spybot has been popping up a while, I'm looking for a semi-conclusive response about if it's a false positive or not. anyone can make a good website to claim their product is safe, but I'd prefer to hear some advice from someone who really knows their stuff about this. paranoia and such.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hi ZT-repairseek.
Spybot originally considered NoAdware as a rogue because of the reputation it had in earlier versions. It was famous for false positives and hidden installations with trojans and other apps. Spybot has removed it from it's list of "baddies". :thumbsup:
If you are stiil using ver. 1.4, Spybot recommends you "completely" uninstall it and upgrade to ver. 1.5, then do the updates again. It should not detect it then. If you are still using ver. 1.4, as I am, Just ad NoAdware to the ignore list.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

Upgrade to 1.5.2. Version 1.5 has exceedingly slow startup. Could take two minutes. 1.5.2 fixed that issue
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

well, I'm working spybot 1.5.2.20 and it's still marking noadware4.0 as a bad thing, so...

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

Judgement call. As NoAdware is shareware, I wouldn't keep it around anyway. Not saying it's good or bad one way or the other, there's just too much good freeware to justify it.
Quote from a team spybot member two months ago:

Winclear has been added to our definition file in December 2007. The software belongs to Marketflip Technologies like other well known rogue antispyware software e.g. NoAdware or Spyware Solver. As Marketflip Technologies is not to be trusted I would not keep this software on my PC.

Take it for what it's worth.

#8 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

Random and somewhat offtopic, but isn't NoAdware the same thing that Mediafire uses to scan its hosted files for malware?
So far Mediafire has been reliable, although I'm not sure it's file scanning is...
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#9 justjustin

justjustin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Yeah...I heard about this..
I also used an rogue anti-spyware 'Adware Alert' og www.adwarealert.com, This is really a bad one, affecting my system hard drive and corrupted files, expensive and useless, and when I try to remove this they can not, finally I formatted my system to remove :flowers:

Well, you can add 'Adware Alert' to rogue anti-spyware list,
Thanks!! :thumbsup:

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

What has that got to do with this? It's two different things.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

NoAdaware is a program that was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns with False positives and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising including exploitation of the name "Ad-Aware". It has since been delisted but in my opinion it is not a very effective program compared to others with a proven track record like those mentioned in BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources or one of the other Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users