Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus Protection Turned Off For About 0.2 Seconds

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Moon013

Moon013

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

I had a problem. I just got myself a new Computer, OS is windows XP. Processor is Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz

I realized that after reinstalling my stuff (like firefox, gigaget, AVG, etc) and have transfered all my stuff from external hard disk to my current hard disk, i found a big problem. (I am not sure if the problem exists beforehand)

Firstly, I go into Windows Security Center (by going into Control Panel -> Security Center). There, I see that my Firewall, Automatic Updates and my Virus Protection are all ON. That is natural, as that is what it should be. My firewall uses the default Windows Firewall, and my Virus Protection uses AVG.

In split second, all 3 of them will be set to OFF, and immediately (after about 0.1 to 0.2 second) they will be back on once again. This happens randomly, as there is no fix timing on when is going to happen.

It happens almost regularly, about once to twice per minute. I knew it because I stare at my monitor for quite sometime to test.

I need desperate help, is there something going on in my new PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

firstly why are you using windows firewall? it isnt very good i would recommend you get something like ZoneAlram (free edition is avaiavlable)

ZoneAlarm free (Firewall)
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/cat...=GB&lang=en

what you need to do is under each catergory eg firewall, there should be link that says "Show Me Other Options" under that you should then select "I have a firewall/Antiviurs/Spyware remove that i manage myself"

this *should* resolve it, disconnect off your internet, turn off all protection from your system tray, then in security centre disable and re-enable all your security and restart the computer)

let us know if this works.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:03 AM

Well...that Security Center icon...may not reflect reality. The Security Center does not recognize all firewalls and AV programs properly, although it certainly should reflect the status of the Windows firewall if you are using that.

The suggestion to use a 3d-party firewall is a good one.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/firewalls/a/aa081804b.htm

I suggest giving the Sunbelt Firewall a try, Kerio Personal Firewall - http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm The trial reverts to the free version after xx days.

Louis

#4 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:48 AM

guys thanks for the help.

TheHelp, sorry I could not find the link that says "Show me other options"..Instead, in the drop down 'menu' when clicked the Firewall under Windows Security Center, the only link I saw is "How does a computer help my computer?"...

Edited by Moon013, 07 March 2008 - 03:52 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

I see the same thing as Moon013.

If I prompt for the detail under Firewall, I see a notation that Sunbelt Personal is on. If I go to the bottom area (Manage Security Settings) I see that the Windows firewall is not operative (because the Sunbelt Personal firewall is operative), as it should be.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2008 - 08:12 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

I tend to agree with Louis that it's just an anomaly. If it were the icons flashing in the system tray, then I might be concerned.
This is a WAG, but check your refresh rate, although I don't think it would be limited to just the icons

Edited by garmanma, 07 March 2008 - 08:42 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 grap6b

grap6b

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

I recommend you to use mcafee total internet security suite 2008 or any other total internet suite. These antivirus programs have powerful firewell and virus protections. This will definitely solve your problem.

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

No, the McAfee suite will not solve your problem. At my place of employment, we see, on average, 4-5 malware infested machines a week that I have to clean up. Out of every 5, 2 have McAfee, and 2 have Symantec or Norton. 1 in 5 has nothing. Most of these times, they are bringing in the machine because malware DISABLED McAfee/Symantec. For this reason, I have to respectfully disagree with grap6b here.

I'd like to get a closer look at your system just to be safe, however.

If you'd like me to take a closer look, Please download Deckard's System Scanner and save it to your desktop.
Double click the downloaded file on your desktop.
When finished, Deckard's system scanner will produce 2 logs, a Main.txt and a Extra.txt. Please post both in your next reply.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

Interesting link, Billy, thanks :thumbsup:.

For those who want more info before downloading, http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?a...amp;showfile=19

Louis

#10 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

Thanks to all of you for the help.

Sorry Billy, some of the Deckard's System Scanner actions I do not really want it to do...one example is that my computer has 2 accounts, and one of them is not mine..I do not wish to delete its temp files... In addition, the thing looks pretty complicated..I am sorry.

Is there any other method I could use?

Edited by Moon013, 10 March 2008 - 09:33 PM.

#11 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

Nah, dont worry about it.
DSS gives a report (its part of extra.txt) about the windows security center, what programs you have installed that it looks for, if the software is outdated, etc. I was just going to check that to see if anything abnormal turned up. But I think you are fine.

Have a nice day,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#12 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

Okay, really thanks for all the help you guys have given me.

If anyone actually has the same problem as mine and actually solve it, it would be great if you tell me about it

Have a nice day too billy, thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users