Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Firefox Extension

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:28 AM

Has anybody tried the new Firefox extension, Bandwidth Tester, yet?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:35 AM

yes, I just now downloaded/installed it.

installation was successful, as it is now in the tools dropdown menu.

I've heeded the caution and disconnected from the internet before using (I want the best results, naturally)

I have to admit, I'm baffled

:flowers:

The progress bar extended to the "complete" position, but the test continued...apparently. So I discontinued it. Then thought,

How could a Bandwidth Tester work offline?

So, I retried it while connected and it worked fine...I think...test was completed
(progress bar to the extreme right) and results are shown in boldface

49.63 Kb/sec (my slow dialup)

54.72 Kb/sec (my improved result 5 minutes later)

:thumbsup: seems to work best by ignoring the caution "not to use the Internet"

Edited by phawgg, 20 July 2004 - 03:54 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

Please keep in mind when using these bandwidth testers that they are really not a good representation of your real bandwidth. Once you reach the Internet there are many factors that will reduce the speed of your connection consisting of congestion, distance, hops between locations, etc.

Evenmore so the device you are testing the bandwidth against, may have a much slower pipe to the internet than you do, therefore your speed will show maximum the remote device and not actually what you have

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:24 AM

I'm guessing that, "do not use the internet during the test", refers to surfing while the test is running. (Just a guess)

phawgg,
I was also wondering how you were supposed to test bandwidth without being on the internet. Just didn't make any sense. LOL

10:17AM(CST) 1.85Mb/sec Direcway satellite
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users