Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Battery Not Charging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Karadactyl

Karadactyl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

I have a toshiba satellite 105 and recently I got a new battery through my warranty program because my old one wasnt holding a charge anymore. My new one was working perfectly and holding long charges and it was charging fine for a couple weeks until 2 nights ago. I had used my laptop on campus earlier in the day on my battery and it was fine, but that night as I had had it plugged in all night, I decided to unplug it for a while. When I unplugged it, my laptop turned off. I plugged it back in and it wanted to start in safe mode, but I started it in normal mode. I restarted it and since then everything has worked fine except for the battery power. When I checked to see if the battery was charging it said it is charging but was only at 10% power. Now, two days later, it still won't charge, still dies when I unplug it, and is now at 4% power. My computer works perfectly fine plugged in and my AC adapter seems to be working fine because it still supplies power. I updated my BIOS because I thought maybe that was the problem, but it didnt work. Could I have updated BIOS incorrectly? Is there anything else I can do? What is the problem? I am so confused. Please help.

THANKS!
Kara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

about the only thing you could do is put a voltmeter on the contacts and measure the voltage(be careful here) on the battery and on the contacts where it connects in the laptop, the circuitry inside the laptop that actually charges the battery may be broken

something has to regulate the current to the battery or they would overcharge/overheat and blow

Edited by DaChew, 05 March 2008 - 11:49 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Karadactyl

Karadactyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

How might this have happened? It showed no signs of anything being wrong earlier that day. If that is the problem how do I fix it?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

because my old one wasnt holding a charge anymore.

the circuit was probably going bad and the old battery might not have been bad, just getting weak and not getting a good charge

I am sure the charging circuit would be a factory repair?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users