Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Name

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jankali

jankali

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

I need some advice! I am in the process of purchasing a 'franchise' restaurant. The chain provides website design but I have been given the task of purchasing a .com name? Domain name? I'm not even sure if that's the right terminology!! I have looked at web monkey and it seems that you can purchase the name of your choice for $9.99 a year? Does that sound right? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration before purchasing? Thanks a bunch! Janice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

That's pretty much it. You likely will not get the name of your choice though, since many names are already taken, so it will likely take some time to get to find one that is acceptable.

#3 jankali

jankali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

If I want to buy a name & don't plan on using that company's web-site builders, where's the best place to buy?
I'm not sure how it works. Sorry for my stupidity.
Once I buy it, will I just have to give the restaurant's web people something like a password and the place I purchased the .com name at?
Jan

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

You can but the domain from wherever you want. I use godaddy.com personally. There is no password and username that goes with a domain name. (I'll see if I can explain this clearly).

A domain name is just a name, like a number in a phone book. It isn't something that you can log into. When you buy a domain, you will have to create an account to purchase that name with whatever website you choose to purchase it from. This is no different than what you would do at Amazon, or something. That account will have a user name and a password. Since that account will also have your credit information, no way do you want to give your information to anyone else.

After you have purchased the domain, you will have to assign the domain name to a name server. Depending on who you have handle your hosting, they will be able to do this for you. Or you can do it yourself. It is really simple. Name servers are simply computers that correlate domain names with IP addresses. When you type in 'bleepingcomputer.com' into your browser, your browser goes out to various name servers to find the IP address that goes with that name. Once your browser has the ip address, then it can find the computer at that address, and load the page.

Places like godaddy can handle all of that for you (for a fee, of course). Any worthwhile web-hosting service should be able to handle it for you.

Never, ever give your passwords away to anyone.

#5 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

maybe she means the FTP password and user name so the company people can upload what they want in it.

Edited by Wassim, 06 March 2008 - 03:32 PM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

maybe she means the FTP password and user name so the company people can upload what they want in it.

Since she doesn't plan on using their site builder and such, there is no reason that anybody other than her should have access. I think the question comes from a misunderstanding about how domains work, and how they are tied to websites.

#7 jankali

jankali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

Yes, you're right, G..
I was wondering how the company's website builders would be able to use a domain name that I purchase now. My thought was that they'd need a way to get it and that would probably require a password!!
I'm still not completely sure how it all works but you've given me a basic idea. Thank you for your help. My plan is to go ahead and buy the name I want (which IS available!) at the site you have recommended and go from there! :thumbsup:
Thanks again. Any time I've ever needed help w/computer issues..this site is the site I trust for good answers. I really appreciate it. Have a good weekend!! Janice

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

If they are setting up a website for you somewhere, they will just need to provide you with the IP address where the website is located. You then just need to point your domain to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users