Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Log In

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RedDwarf

RedDwarf

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

G'day. When I installed windows xp pro on my other computers, i set up some user accounts. When I boot up it goes straight to the log in page and I can select which account to open. Also the Administrator option disappears. That is how I want it.
On my latest install, I set up 2 user accounts but it boots up in the administrator account, by-passing the log in page. I then have to log out and back in under one of the user accounts.
I tried setting a password for the admin account and on boot up it still by passes the log in page and boots in the admin account without asking for the password. If I then log out and try to log back in it does ask for the password.
Any ideas how to change this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:09 AM

under user account is control panel look for "change the way users log in" and within that page look for the section which says askfor password or something alonmg that line. this should then prompt you to enter a password each time you switch the pc on.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

You can also go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Then put a checkmark in the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer". Then click on OK to save the changes and exit the dialog.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 RedDwarf

RedDwarf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:05 AM

Thanks guys. The box in the user accounts was already ticked. Thats why I was so confused. but the control userpasswords2 thing did the trick. Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users