Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoruns 'file Not Found' List (drivers)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Hi,

I have some 'File[s] not found' in my Autoruns list. I don't know why they are missing. I have recently had a virus infection, so could it be that the files were deleted by Anti-Virus? Anyway, since it says they are drivers, are they required or recommended? Is it safe to right click and delete them? Or should I find the files and replace them? If so, how?

Changer File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Changer.sys

WDICA File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\WDICA.sys

PCIDump File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.sys

PDCOMP File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDCOMP.sys

PDFRAME File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDFRAME.sys

PDRELI File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRELI.sys

PDRFRAME File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRFRAME.sys

lbrtfdc File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.sys

cmdAgentCOMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service File not found: Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe" (I have Comodo Firewall installed, what might be wrong?)

The last 'File not found' seems puzzling to me- I have Comodo Firewall installed and running. I don't know why the file is missing...

Looking for any thoughts.

P.S. In the meantime I have unticked the box next to these files.

Thanks,
Juha

Edited by Juha, 05 March 2008 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

File not found means that the file that that entry points to isn't where it's supposed to be - so it won't load when the computer starts up.

If the computer is working fine now, I'd suggest just leaving them there for a while before deleting them.

As for the Comodo - I'm not real familiar with it - but the entry seems to be for a "helper", not for the program itself. Have you tried opening up the Comodo control panel to see if you can access the tools there?

Not knowing what damage was done by the virus, I'd have to suggest uninstalling the Comodo firewall and reinstalling a freshly downloaded copy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

The computer seems to be working okay with the exception of slight delays in shutting off/restarting that I am seeing these days. I don't know if the two are related... I have already tried disabling some unwanted programs and services from starting up, cleaned temporary file and removed unwanted programs etc.

Have you tried opening up the Comodo control panel to see if you can access the tools there?

Not really... but as you've suggested, I will uninstall and re-install a fresh copy of the firewall.

File not found means that the file that that entry points to isn't where it's supposed to be - so it won't load when the computer starts up.

So actually deleting it just removes it from the listing, am I right? And the files could be present elsewhere on the computer? I was wondering if the files were essential how would I be able to point the computer to where the files are located so that it can load?

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

I would say that you are better off leaving these entries disabled and not deleting them. They don't seem to be malware related (to me).

It looks like you are not alone with these startup items, have a look at this thread:
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts....=11781&PN=1

Edited by jhsmurray, 07 March 2008 - 11:44 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:58 AM

The disabled entries don't hurt anything and don't slow you down - so leaving them there "just in case" is probably a good idea at this point.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jtweedy

jtweedy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

I also had a "Not Found" , problem with Autoruns and Vista 64 Bit. I came across an entry for WinDefend, the image path shows "File Not Found c:\program files (x86)\Windows Defender\mpsvc.dll".
Since the file was not found, I assumed it would be same to uncheck it so it does not attempt to autorun. When I did this I was surprised on restart to see a Windows Defender error message "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop...............

I'ved checked and while mpsvc.dll does not exist in the c:\program files (x86)\Windows Defender" folder, it is in the c:\program files\Windows Defender folder.

Putting the Check mark back restored things back to normal.

#7 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

Jhsmurray, thanks for the link. I've seen the thread but I don't think there is a conlusion to be made from it.

Jtweedy, yours looks interesting. Could the report 'Not found' be actually false and that it is Autoruns that has some problems?

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

What version of Autoruns are you running? You could try updating to the latest version if you don't have it already (currently at v9.13).

Acer Aspire 5732z

#9 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

lol I have v8.73! Never seemed to check for an update. But I don't see an update button anywhere. Does that mean the old version should be removed via 'Add or Remove' and the new version installed?

#10 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

Yeah, just uninstall via Add/Remove, download the latest from the link above and install as usual. Hopefully doing that will help with the issue. :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z

#11 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:31 PM

I thought it was in the 'Add or Remove Programs' section but it is not. I don't know if it is just me or what. Anyway, I removed after searching for it. I have downloaded the new version, and guess what... the same 'Not found files' are listed.

Anyway, thanks for the update info.

#12 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

I thought it was in the 'Add or Remove Programs' section but it is not. I don't know if it is just me or what. Anyway, I removed after searching for it.

Um yeah, sorry about that - it's a standalone executable that is not 'installed' on the system. So you did the right thing there.

Out of curiosity, is there anything unusual/unexpected in the device manager, like warning icons?
(To do so, click Start -> Run, type devmgmt.msc in the textbox and hit enter).

By the way, looking up a couple of files in the BC file database (namely changer.sys and lbrtfdc.sys), I noticed that the directory is not supposed to be C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\, but C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\.

If you can find those files in that directory, and everything works as expected, then my guess is that the problem lies with autoruns, not your system.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#13 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hi,

I checked the Device Manager. Nothing 'unusual/unexpected' according to my understanding.

I have also checked the BC File Database for the files you pointed out. Yeah, mine looks like they're in a different directory. I also noticed that 'lbrtfdc.sys' belongs to Toshiba Corp. and has the description: Toshiba Libretto floppy controller. Sounds strange since I have an Acer, not Toshiba.

P.S. While searching on google, I was surprised to come across a site selling the file for $19.95! Any reason why somebody would be selling an individual file? Doesn't it come freely with the Operating System? Or one would need it after file corruption or something?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'll sell it to you for only $10 (just kidding!)

Most files can be found for free on the web and if you know what you're doing you won't have to pay for them.
But at times it may be easier to pay for them rather than taking the time to hunt them down.

#15 hkQQ2010

hkQQ2010

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

I think it is bug of Autoruns.

I am using Autoruns v10.07, it shows more items with "file not found" than the previous version, like 8.xx. Strangely, with earlier version, less those items.

Besides, I check those files of "file not found". I found they are all exist.

Therefore, don't delete them, otherwise, the windows will be unstable. I had already taste this sour apple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users