Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Security Suite

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

McAfee services: VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SecurityCenter, System Guards, Backup & Restore, and Privacy Service

I have worked on a few of the comcast customer's computers running this, the computers were a little older and this software really slowed them down, but every scan came up squeaky clean.

I would unload all the services I could before doing any routine maintenance like disk cleanup or defrag.

Adding any extra protection to this seems like it would be asking for trouble? My daughter works for Comcast and they are
having to help a lot of people with older poorly maintained computers or people who want to keep a fast computer, unload the software off their computers?

note: a couple of these were business computers that have to stay on the internet all the time, but even survived my space instant messenger and a few toolbars

Edited by DaChew, 05 March 2008 - 07:55 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

McAfee requires serious resources of/from ones system.... enough said?

I have a paid for full McAfee on one computer. I've never been infected on this system in five years.

I run AVG on the other two Toshi Lappies now using Vista. I've never been infected there either in 18+ months.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

I've never been infected on this system in five years.

It would follow that adding more protection would be redundant and possibly make a bad situation worse?
Chewy

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

McAfee services: VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SecurityCenter, System Guards, Backup & Restore, and Privacy Service

I have worked on a few of the comcast customer's computers running this, the computers were a little older and this software really slowed them down, but every scan came up squeaky clean.

I'm going to add my 2 cents worth here. DaChew, I've been saying for years that there is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. A program that plays nice on your computer may not play nice on mine. Some people use McAfee (or Norton, TrendMicro, and all the others out there) and have no problems with it. Others may use the same programs and experience slow computers. I tried McAfee antivirus years ago, it messed up my computer so bad I had to do a complete format just to get rid of it.
Comcast offers McAfee free to it's customers. Some of those customers think they are required by Comcast to use the McAfee, they are not aware that can choose their own security products. And if they experience problems because of it, they live with it until they hopefully find out they are not required to use it. This isn't unique to Comcast. Other ISP's are partnered with big name companies and offer free security-and their customers will also think they have to use that product.
It's free, and people want free. Sometimes we need to educate them, let them know there are alternatives and some of those alternatives won't cost anything. The key is finding the right combination of products that works for a user and won't affect the systems performance.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 March 2008 - 11:45 PM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

I'm going to add my 2 cents worth here.

:flowers:

I agree totally about the suite but didn't get very far changing the status quo, these users are not very technical.

:thumbsup:

set the computers on autopilot and hopefully I'll catch them before they crash and run disk cleanup and defrag
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users