Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Wont Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

I turned my machine off as normal this afternoon.

When I went to restart it literally nothing would happen - it could not find a drive.

I put the hard drive from my machine in my wife's computer (unplugged her CD ROM and put the hard drive on the 2nd bus) - checkdisk ran. There were a load of missing bits of files.

When the computer eventually started I ran AVG spybot and adaware on my disk and found nothing.

I then put the drive back in my machine, started it and it went into a cycle of XP flash page - blue screen - error msg - restart. The error msg was "lsass.exe. an invalid parameter was passed to a service or function" This would have continued all afternoon if I had let it. The machne wouldnt startin safe mode, nor would it revert to an earlier version.

I checked on the net and found : http://www.askdavetaylor.com/lsassexe_syst...ot_windows.html

I did the replacing the security file thing as mentioned.

Now, when I start my machine it stalls just before the password box comes up, showing a msg that starts" when trying to update a password...." I cannot read the rest, the msg disappears too fast

I have tried putting a new hard drive into my machine and doing a fresh install of XP, but it's a dell machine and the dispaly setting just wont change from VGA. I guess its a propreitary driver thing....

Any ideas? I have saved all of what I HOPE is the stuff I need of the drive, but I cant see a way of getting my machine to boot.

It wont start in any mode except off the CD, or in VGA mose off the "new" drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

I guess that I don't understand the bit about the "VGA setting", but let's move on.

I guess that I don't understand why you could not run chkdsk from your own system. You do have an install CD, correct?

In any case, I suggest that you download a manufacturer's diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer...and start eliminating/confirming suspects. Run the long test.

Can you access the system BIOS? If so, change the boot options to reflect the CD-0 drive as the primary option (before attempting to run the XP CD). If using a floppy for the hard drive diagnostic, change the boot option to reflect the floppy as first option.

This is a desktop, right? Manufacturer/model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2008 - 08:02 PM.

#3 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:15 AM

Its a Dell, so no install disk

I couldnt run checkdisk from my own machine because my own machine claimed to have no drives attached at all, so went straight into blue screen.

I think I hav eit OK, except for not being able to get as far as the password. It certainly loads OK

Is there a way to reset the password having the disk in another machine?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

Negative on resetting password in another system.

The hard drive is geared to have the settings of your system...so the only way that you can change system files/settings for that install...is to boot into that install (which you cannot do on another system).

I believe that recovery CDs are available from Dell, at a small cost. IMO, these are well worth the time/effort/money it takes to acquire for a system where the owner does not have a MS install CD.

Louis

#5 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

OK

So I put in a spare drive I had and did a clean install of XP

So far very minor problems assciated with setting up email etc etc etc.

However, AVG is now saying that lsass.exe wants access to the internet.

I cannot work out why, and after my previous problem am not disposed to grant it

Does this mean I have an infected lsass.exe? I have run search and I have 2 instances:
C:\WINDOWS\system32 size 13.0 KB (13,312 bytes) size on disk 16.0 KB (16,384 bytes)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Both show dates of 2004
I assume these are OK, but I cant understand what is making lsass want to connect.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

On my XP Virtual Machine, lsass.exe will access the network using ntoskrnl.exe - and all requests that I've got are for local addresses (192.168.x.x or 127.0.0.1) My version info won't help as it's from the SP3 beta

Here's a link with more info about lsass.exe: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/IPSEC_Services.htm

lsass.exe can be exploited by the Sasser worm - but if you've got SP2 that vulnerability has been patched.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users