Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista To Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 burnttoast_04

burnttoast_04

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hi. I have a compaq presario sr2170nx. I have had this computer for over a year now. But not until recently did I start to have problems with this operating system. I have the Vista Home Basic Edition. Couple of months ago, I lost my sound on Vista, its funny i put in a demo of ubuntu and I have sound, but on Vista I do not have sound, My printer has compatibility issues with Vista. I am a college student, so this gets very frustrating, I just need something that works now. A friend of mine said that you can change from vista to xp but it is a very difficult process. I'm not really a computer geek so i just want someone to let me know what i should do. Thanks. God Bless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi, I had a look at the compaq site and there does not seem to be drivers for XP availible. That might not mean you can't find them but it may not be a viable option to downgrade. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...mp;lang=en&
MCP
MSDST

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

http://forums.techarena.in/showpost.php?p=...amp;postcount=6

should be easy for that old a model, wish I could have been that lucky looking for a newer toshiba laptop's drivers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

yeah, I wish they would still support XP more, because lots of people want to use it, and not vista. I'm hoping that when I build my computer, I won't have any trouble with it.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

yeah, I wish they would still support XP more, because lots of people want to use it, and not vista. I'm hoping that when I build my computer, I won't have any trouble with it.

Ive heard that support for XP home may be ending so XP pro might be a better option.
MCP
MSDST

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

pro and home use almost all the same updates so I would expect support for both to continue one way or another, there might not be much after sp3 is released

if they carry thru and withdraw it from the market this summer, that will be a big problem for DIY builders
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:09 AM

A copy of XP will cost more than a new printer. Then there's the hours that you'll spend hunting down the drivers.

Fixing the sound shouldn't be a huge problem here (if you're interested in doing that) - otherwise you can restore the system to it's factory state and that should get your sound back.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users