Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email In Outbox Too Large To Send- Cannot Delete

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LTJLily17

LTJLily17

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

My co-worker tried sending an image in Outlook 2003 (XP machine) that was too large to go through. It has now blocked up the entire program and he cannot send or receive anything. I have tried going offline to delete the file, moving the file, and I downloaded the MDBVU32 program from Microsoft to go into the actual Outlook files, but when I try to delete that specific message, I get an error saying it cannot be stopped. I set Outlook to try and connect to a dial up modem (we have none) so it wouldn't be trying to send the message, and I still could not delete it. Anyone have any other ideas? Any help would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I have also tried starting in safe mode, but everytime I open Outlook it hangs and shuts down.

I know in Outlook Express I can just rename the .dbx file, but as far as I've learned, there are only .pst files for Outlook, and I have no idea where to access the outbox.

Edited by LTJLily17, 05 March 2008 - 07:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Try this:

Close Outlook. Disconnect your PC from the modem, or if your modem has a standby button, press it once (so all the lights go out). Launch Outlook. It will fail immediately because you're not connected to the outside world. Go to the Outbox, and delete the problem message. Reconnect to the modem.

#3 LTJLily17

LTJLily17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Thank you for the fast reply!

Unfortunately, that did not work. I get no error message when I try and delete the message, but when I try to select it's options I get the following: "Can't open this item. Outlook has aleady begun transmitting this message."

Also, when I start Outlook, I get this: "Cannot start the reminder service. Unable to show reminders."

The user said that just started popping up today.

Could part of the email be stuck on my server? Are the two related?

Thank you.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

I found these you can read through
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281315
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899340
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 LTJLily17

LTJLily17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info, it was helpful with the reminder error.

I have the user set up on Outlook Express for now, but that message is clogging his Outlook up so bad, I can't export any of the contacts or messages.

If anyone has anything else I could try to delete the message, I'd appreciate it. I'd really like to keep his current Outlook with the messages and contacts- he is in charge of the Marketing for our company.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far! :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

I know in Outlook Express I can just rename the .dbx file, but as far as I've learned, there are only .pst files for Outlook, and I have no idea where to access the outbox.

Locate .pst folder and files
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 LTJLily17

LTJLily17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Is there any way to edit the .pst files?

I don't think I can make any changes to them.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

You need to use a hex editor
http://www.memecode.com/ihex.php
Mark
Posted Image

#9 LTJLily17

LTJLily17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thank you for looking up the information and a download for me, but I'm not sure really how to use it. I read the directions, but it didn't make the most sense to me.

Have you ever used it?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

Afraid not, I just know that's what you need to do it. A Google search might give you more alternatives or instructions
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users