Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Not Booting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cfs

cfs

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Dear Forum,

I own a Toshiba laptop Dynabook ES/425 CME that is running Windows XP Home. The laptop is about 5 years old but was running in great condition as it is only used for the basics such as internet surfing, downloading pictures, writing on word, web cam conferencing, and phone calls.

Yesterday, when it was time to shut down my computer there was an automatic update icon on the shut down icon. Per usual, I clicked it and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning and turned on my computer, it would not load up the XP sign in screen at all. Instead, the following screen appeared. See attachment at end of post.

My system is a Japanese OS. However, Amazing Andrew mentioned that it reads the following in English:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
C:\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

The problem is that I cannot locate my cd-rom.

I was able to get a recovery cd for XP Home from a friend who owned a Dell. Not sure of the model though. The front of the cd reads:

(at top)
Reinstallation CD
Micresoft Windows XP Home Edition

(on left)

Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs and drivers.

I was wondering if I could install this cd in my laptop? If I can, I would very much appreciate a walk through in the process so I donít erase anything off my HD.

Attached File  post_186726_1201611551_thumb.jpg   4.27KB   8 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

No, when it says Dell it means Dell. The configuration is different
You can try John's second post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cfs

cfs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

You can try John's second post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Hi Garmanma,

I read through John's second post. He mentions if one has no cd to find "i386". How do I locate this? I can get to the BIOS but am not sure what to do from there. Other than getting to BIOS my computer will not load any other screen besides the one I mentioned in the first post.

On another note, a few weeks ago I pout in that Dell cd and it loaded in my laptop and asked me if I wanted to take some steps in downloading it. I didn't do anything of fear though.

Any options.

-cfs

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

As long as the numbers aren't worn off the tags on the bottom of the unit, you can call Toshiba and order a repair disk, usually for a nominal cost.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users