Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Avast 4 Home Edition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

I hope my friends on here may be able to assist with this dilema?aware that AVG will withdraw support for computers on win 98se , I attempted to install avast on my win 98se laptop as a trial run ; I took the EXE from avast home

I accept that my lap top is not the most brilliant of working tools , but I have found that avast runs competely differently from avg ;

if anyone HAS avast on their computer could they kindly give me screan shots of how to set up the program to at least scan incoming and outgoing mail from within OE ?

due to my problems with it I have for the time being uninstalled it from that machine

unless a 98se user knows a different antivirus program that will support this platform?

to say that I am disappointed in my first encounter with this avast product is an understatement

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:12 AM

Hi ruby1,

I'm not familiar at all with Windows 98 or Outlook Express, but I do use AVAST. There should be a provider called Internet Mail. This is the one that will scan incoming and outgoing e-mail. You can find the different elements in the On-Access Protection Control panel. To get to it, right click on the little ball with the small letter a on it. There are a total of 7 different providers. I have 4 running because the other three are irrelevant in my case.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 March 2008 - 02:32 PM.
Correct program name

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hi ruby1,

I'm not familiar at all with Windows 98 or Office Express, but I do use AVAST. There should be a provider called Internet Mail. This is the one that will scan incoming and outgoing e-mail. You can find the different elements in the On-Access Protection Control panel. To get to it, right click on the little ball with the small letter a on it. There are a total of 7 different providers. I have 4 running because the other three are irrelevant in my case.

That wouldn't be Avast Professional your running is it?Thanks.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

I'm running the Free Home edition. I've just looked at AVAST's website for both Home and Pro versions, and e-mail resident scanning is the same for both.

According to AVAST's help file, Outlook Express is scanned the same way as Thunderbird, Euduro and others. The exceptions are MS Office and MS Exchange which have additional setup requirements.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thank-you for your reply.I didn't mean to hijack this thread to ask you a question.Sorry about that.I was going to give the Pro version a run because from what i've read it's a 60 day trial which is nice.I was trying to find how effective the firewall part of the Pro version was like,that's all. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users