Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsing problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jaideep

jaideep

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

Funny problem I have now after installing XP SP2. I can't browse using IE 6.0 unless I deltree the running process files listed below using the Task Manager:-

alg.exe - in SP2 pack
smc.exe - Search can't find it
itask.exe - Search can't find it

The Windows Security Center running in XP SP2 shows Windows Firewall & Auto Updates ON. Turning them OFF makes no difference to the situation. No Anti-anything software runs on my PC. It is a new installation & have just about loaded Win Office XP & & my Internet connection. That's all. Anyone, help me please. It's downright sickening deltreeing the mentioned running process files every time I boot up & get connected to the NET to browse. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:23 PM

alg.exe - ALG is an integral part of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) in Windows XP. If you use Windows XPís Internet Connection Firewall, you must have ALG running.
If you use a 3rd Party firewall, set ALG to manual in "Control Panel \ Administrative Tools \ Services".

smc.exe - This one has to do with Sygate Firewall.
Are you using Sygate?
If you are, you need to disable Windows Firewall.
Running 2 firewalls together could cause conflicts, causing both to become inoperable.

itask.exe:
Is this one spelled right?
Sure it's not, atitask.exe

Edited by tg1911, 15 March 2005 - 03:24 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jaideep

jaideep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:22 AM

alg.exe - ALG is an integral part of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) in Windows XP. If you use Windows XPís Internet Connection Firewall, you must have ALG running.
If you use a 3rd Party firewall, set ALG to manual in "Control Panel \ Administrative Tools \ Services".

Are you using Sygate?
Running 2 firewalls together could cause conflicts, causing both to become inoperable.

itask.exe:

1. ALG is already set to manual in my Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services.

2. smc.exe ? No Sygate or any other firewall runs on my machine other than the Windows XP firewall.

3. itask.exe is as it is spelt. For your info, it appears as the 3rd out of 5 check boxes in the Internet connection properties/Advanced Tab/Windows Firewall Settings Tab/Exceptions Tab and under Programs & Services.

#4 jaideep

jaideep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

itask.exe alg.exe - ALG is an integral part of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) in Windows XP. If you use Windows XPís Internet Connection Firewall, you must have ALG running.

Are you using Sygate?

itask.exe:

- alg.exe is no problem now.

- itask.exe was some sort of Virus file which I eliminated. No problem now.

- I don't use SYGATE but SmC.exe is still very much a problem. I still need to delete this process before browsing. This file appears on the XP-SP2 pop-up box giving me the KEEP BLOCKING / UNBLOCK / ASK ME LATER options. I always check the ASK ME LATER option because I don't know what else to do. Please tell me what to do about this.

Edited by jaideep, 21 March 2005 - 09:26 AM.

#5 jaideep

jaideep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

Can anyone tell me please what SmC.exe is all about & why do I have to disable the process before browsing? Unable to browse otherwise. This file also comes up on my Windows Firewall prompt asking whether to continue blocking OR Allow OR Ask me later.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:34 AM

Everything I find on smc.exe, indicates it's part of the Sygate firewall.
Did you use Sygate, at one time?

If not, where is this file located on your computer?

Note: Any malware can be named anything - so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 jaideep

jaideep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

Everything I find on smc.exe, indicates it's part of the Sygate firewall.
Did you use Sygate, at one time?

If not, where is this file located on your computer?

Note: Any malware can be named anything - so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html

Never used Sygate anytime. Search does'nt find any such file on my PC. My A/V program ezAntivirus finds no virus. Looks like some funny special bug here. Any ideas next ? :thumbsup:

Edited by jaideep, 26 March 2005 - 09:28 AM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:59 PM

Is your computer set to show hidden files?

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

It looks like you may have a problem, or two, but I'm not a expert in the use of HJT to diagnose problems.
I, would submit a HJT log for examination by the HJT Team, this way, we can eliminate the possibility of spyware/malware, being the cause of your problem.

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#10 jaideep

jaideep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:03 AM

OK. Will do & thanks for your help tg1911.

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:21 PM

Your HJT log has been split into a forum to better suit your needs. I will include a link to this thread as an edit to your log as well.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:23 AM

Smc - smc.exe - Process Information

Process File: smc or smc.exe
Process Name: Sygate Personal Firewall

Description:
smc.exe is a part of the Sygate Secure Enterprise, more specifically the firewall product. This piece of software blocks attacks from Internet-bound viruses and hackers. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...esslibrary/smc/

Itask looks like it has something to do with Ipods. Have you connected an Ipod to thjis computer?

#13 jaideep

jaideep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:09 AM

Thanks for your info Enthusiast. Itask is no problen for me now. Am into solving my problem with Grinler's help on the HJT forum. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users