Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's The Best Way To Rip Music?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

The topic says it all. I want quality.
Any particular applications of file formats that are better than "all the others"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hi Kim,

I use Windows Media Player to manager my music collections. Do you need a higher quality backup than that?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

I know from experience with ripping music, that if you want quaity you need a format that isn't compressed (MP3 is a compressed format, a bit like JPEG/JPG images) you also need a higher bit rate.

Of course if you want music with a higher bit rate you need to be willing to sacrafice disc space.
As the files can be quiet large.

Another option is to import using a lossless format but these files are gigantuous.

Here are some instructions on increasing your file format for importing and the bit rate.

Using Windows Media Player 11
1. Launch WMP
2. Under the Rip tab select the format you would like. (Note: If you really want to use MP3 when you select your bit rate select 320Kbps because it is the best possible quality. Also if you want a lossless format select Windows Media Audio Lossless)
3. If you have selected MP3 or WMA select your bit rate. For MP3 the best quality is 320kbps and for WMA its 192Kbps.
4. Import your music

Using iTunes
1. Open iTunes
2. Select Edit >>> Preferences
3. Click the Advanced tab followed by the Importing tab
4. Next to Import Using click the drop down menu and select MP3 or ACC (note: if you select Apple Lossless Encoder there is no need to continue to step 5)
5. Next to Setting select Custom and increase the bit rate to 320kbps.
6. Click Ok.
7. Now you can import excellent quality music.

Hope these helped :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) if I'm looking for perfect copies of CDDA (PCM) (for trading purposes), I rip to a .wav then convert to Flac for storage. IMO, you can't do better that that. As stated above if you want quality, you'll need a lossless format, such as shorten, or Flac, Wav.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

If it just for the iPod, for example, then I rip with iTunes. :thumbsup:

Edited by 12x48y, 08 March 2008 - 09:22 PM.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

Nice suggestion 12x48y :thumbsup:
I might try that myself

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#6 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

EAC will also burn cd's. But I found it's better to install the Flac plugin for Nero, that way you can just drag and drop the Flac files directly to Nero, and Nero will automatically convert Flac to audio cdda. I've ripped and burned hundreds of cd's this way. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users