Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmenting Trouble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:32 AM

I have a partitioned hard disk where it's suposed that all new programs should be installed in D. Unfortunately, there are still important issues that do not allow this and insistently install in C. Also, temporal files and cookies do the same. Currently I have a severely fragmented C and also it's almost completely filled (?????????). I feel that this situation makes my system to run generically slow with every function or application and also giving pseudo RAM memory troubles. D is impossible to defragment. It means that some applications don't run after other ones have been used during the same session; or hanging for a while, Word, if a message is entering in Outlook 2003. Please be so kind to give me some help, either to defragment or make something to get more free space without deleting files that might be necessary. "Moving and deleting", for example is absolutely unsuccessful and dangerous. Many thanks and sorry for the size of issue. :thumbsup:
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haycg

haycg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

Add an extra hard drive as a slave or get a exterior hard drive.

#3 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:18 AM

Get this program, its call ATFCleaner it will remove all your temp files/cookies/histroy also get CCleaner this performs the same tasks but is more thorough

ATF Cleaner
http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html

CCleaner
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Then get Raxo PerfectDisk 9 (Trial Version or buy it) and run this defragmentor its very good and has performed well on my machines.

Racxo PD - profession
http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/

Analyse the drive one at a time and when it give you its recommended action click start and allow it to continue, do this until it does not gibe you any further recommendations then, select Defragment only on the top left then click entire drive and let it do its business.

NOTE: while defragmenting you should not use the pc, you should disable screensavers, disconnect from net and siable firewall/antivirus

let us know if this helped.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

How much free space on C:? Same question for D:?

Do you have an XP CD?

Desktop or laptop?

Louis

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

Why did you partition it like this in the first place?

Windows XP (With ntfs) is usually fine with handling large drives and large numbers of files. Many programs are not designed to be installed on anything but the system drive.

Those who say partitioning your disk results in measurable performance gains are living in the days of Fat and Fat32. NTFS removes some of the ugly ugly hacks made to fat to make it support large disks.

The only exception is that the pagefile (what you called pseudo ram) can benefit from being on it's own partition, but the differences are small, and only show up if your system is severely hampered on ram (128MB or less). Sure, placing temp files on thier own partition can help, but configuring that is a nightmare, and you're better off not wasting your time for gains so small.

Defragmentation also usually results in negligible performance gains. Again, the FAT filesystem that Win9x uses suffered from fragmentation problems, but NTFS generally handles itself fine without defragmenting. Also, if you have large files on the volume, the windows defragmenter ignores fragments over 64MB. Some files are constantly in use by the system, and therefore are impossible to defragment.

Please see this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragment#Myths

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Thousands of thanks to everybody. I was sick and couldn't open the Forum. I have deleted a couple of files, while praying on my kneels and it resultes in more space and then I could defragment. Friendly greetings and regards. Many, many thanks.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users