Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox V2.0.0.12 & Vista?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

I'm having problems with the current version of Firefox (2.0.0.12) hanging. It is especially troublesome if I am usuing the cookie handler: the handler kind of freezes up.

Also, sometimes will not close properly, so I have to go into Task Manager & discontinue the app so I can restart it again.

Any thoughts? I can't find anything about this in the support areas for Firefox.

Thanks,

=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

What do you mean by 'using the cookie handler"? Are you talking about a plug-in, or are you talking about the tools menu, where you clean up cookies, accept cookies, etc.?

#3 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

What do you mean by 'using the cookie handler"? Are you talking about a plug-in, or are you talking about the tools menu, where you clean up cookies, accept cookies, etc.?

Sorry for the confusion. The cookie handler is an add-on that I've always used with Firefox. It's called CookieSafe: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/se...us=4&page=2

=SubMariner=

#4 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

I have also problems with Firefox hanging/crashing... It is almost always after checking my Yahoo Mail... I do not use any cookie handler...
Once, few files were sent to Microsoft automatically, which were about to help with finding an answer for that problem... So I'm just looking forward to seeing a new version of Firefox... :thumbsup:.. Hopefully it will solve a problem...

You could also perform a standart diagnostic:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29

and check the Issues with Firefox:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Issues
(especially: Firefox crashes ...)

:flowers:
c18903e63196580f.gif
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

I'd suggest:
- backing up your bookmarks
- uninstalling Firefox
- deleting the Firefox folders in your User Profile and in Program Files
- reinstalling Firefox

That solves most Firefox issues as it forces Firefox to re-setup everything.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'd suggest:
- backing up your bookmarks
- uninstalling Firefox
- deleting the Firefox folders in your User Profile and in Program Files
- reinstalling Firefox

That solves most Firefox issues as it forces Firefox to re-setup everything.

Yoiks! That's a lot to have to do! Maybe I'll uninstall & reinstall the cookie handler (or pick up another one from Mozilla) before I go this route....

=SubMariner=

#7 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Ok, here's the scoop. Cookie Safe (CS) is no longer supported by its developer. Probably because it doesn't seem to play well with the current version of Firefox. The latest version is CS Lite. So I un-installed the CS extension/add on via the FF Tools menu; then I dl'd CS Lite from Mozilla (it's also available through the developer).

Then I visited a number websites I don't usually frequent to see how well I could handle the cookies, and CS Lite seemed to work as well as it predecessor did with previous FF versions. No choking or hanging.

I'll keep you apprised...

Pax,

=SubMariner=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users