Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Or Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 woodman

woodman

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hi
I am looking to buy a new laptop and a few companies have said they can install windows XP instead of Vista. I have heard many things about Vista so I am not sure what to do. Any advice would be welcome?
Regards
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

Windows Xp Or Vista, Waht should I do?

Ask yourself what critical apps and externals you currently have that are not yet Vista compatable (or may never be).
If it's going to cost you considerably more $ then just the laptop, go with XP. You can always upgrade later.
On the other hand, if you're Vista ready or can get there cheap, go Vista.

Edited by HitSquad, 05 March 2008 - 11:59 AM.

#3 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

Thank you.
Can you tell me what ctitical applications are you talking about?

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

Only you would know the answer to that.
What I mean by "critical" is critical to you or your job. :huh:
Do a little homework and you'll be fine. Either way, get lots of memory in it. Wether you go Vista now or some time down the road, you'll need it.

Edited by HitSquad, 05 March 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

hi,,, if you go vista do not get less than 2gig of ram,,, there are some very good laptops going cheap but with only 1 gig,,, dont touch it because it will cost you to up stick the ram to 2 gig,,, you can get a good speck core2 with 2 gig ram for about 450, but remember to shut all unnessory services down as vista has a lot of stuff that is always running in the back ground & contacting back to microsoft which is a pain in the arse & causes disc thrashing,,, go to the Black Viper's site to get guidance as to what to shut down,,,, reading that last bit seams like a good advert for XP,,,,lol,,,, i have a vista & an xp desk top, at first i was not keen on vista but after a few tweeks and some good updates it runs great,, very stable os once you have a play with it,,,,,,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

Vista doesn't play well with older applications and hardware. If there's something older that you just can't live without - check to see if it has been updated to be Vista compatible. If not, then you'll want XP.

The most common older things are printers and extra programs that you've installed on your current system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

Many thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users