Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This A Virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 badluckbob

badluckbob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:11 AM

Hi
i am running AVG anti virus and when I run a scan in the results section it comes up with under file section it says " Hosts " under Results/Infection section it comes up with " change " and then under the Path section it comes up with " C:\\WINDOWS\system32\driver\etc\hosts ". When the scan finishes it says my computer is virus free and does not need to fix anything. Is this something I need to worry about and if so how do i get rid of it.
Many thanks inadvance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hi; I get a similar 'warning' on my win98se computer that has the Hosts text file installed HOSTS

when I first saw this 'warning' I was alarmed; BUT it is ,from my point of view' safe' as it tells me my Hosts text file IS a 'change' and a change I as the computer user know about

does that help YOU? :flowers:

and I have made NO attempt to remove or delete my AVG's 'warning'' as it proves it is 'doing its job' :thumbsup:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

Yes, AVG does not change your HOSTS file but it will alert you that the HOSTS file has changed since the last scan. What security programs are you using? Although malware can be responsible for altering the HOSTS file, some security programs like SpySweeper and Spybot S&D have features that can add entries to your HOSTS file and that action may be detected as a change. If you downloaded and used a custom HOSTS file or made edits that too would trigger a change detection. If you did not make any changes or do not have security programs with these features, then you need to investigate what the changes are.

The HOSTS file should not show as changed unless the user is aware of a program needing a change made to it and is aware that it is being altered. Protection softwares and also Malware's will often change this file so they can affect where a computer goes to on the internet.

This is one reason why the user on this system needs to look at the file to make certain that something didn't change it and if so determine if it is a good or bad change...

General system maintenance can change the file even when it isn't apparent by visual inspection. AVG uses a checksum to compare a file before and after and a minor change or correction to the file could have caused it to appear changed.

Host file changed
Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 badluckbob

badluckbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:08 AM

I do use spyware s&d so that is what is, many thanks again, you guys are invaluable.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:11 AM

as Quietman7 'suggests', you do need to know what is going on on your computer and what legitimate changes you have made that MIGHT cause a security program to throw up an alert such as this one

if you are running superantispyware and change your home page( as I do frequently), superantispyware too will flash up a 'security warning ' about this as it, rightly, percieves it as a ' home page hijacker' on board ; I then' allow 'the change as I know it to be legit :flowers:

the maxim ' know thine own computer' is not a bad one to consider; what you expect from it and how it 'normally' performs, then you will hopefully know what is abnormal, and a cause for concern :thumbsup:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

I don't use AVG but after I updated Spybot, I found that it had altered my host file with its own entries for protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users