Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beware The Oxfam Charity Lottery Email!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adii

Adii

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:20 AM

This is new email scam that pretends to be a lottery notification from charity Oxfam.
The emails claims that the recipient has won 850,000 in a lottery run by the international aid relief organization, and asks for the claimant to reply to get details on how the winnings will be transferred.

The scam email tells recipients to contact a live.com email address, and also lists a UK 070 personal phone number for people who wish to make contact via telephone.

Becare full from such emails!!!

Thanks!!

http://www.first.org/newsroom/globalsecurity/217689.html
http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/techforum/...IR&O=google

Edited by Papakid, 13 March 2008 - 12:23 PM.
Deleted screenshot (too small and unnecessary) and cited sources

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

I have received something almost exactly the same except it wasn't called that and it stated that I won the secret lotto in South Africa. I was like yes, so I gave them all my info and they said they would be getting back to me real soon. I cant wait to buy my new car! NO really I did get something that said I won the lotto in South Africa but I deleted it. I wish I would of got more info on it so I could of posted it here. They actually sent it two me twice and each time they sent it I got 2 copies. If they send it to me again I will post it here.

Peace Out, :thumbsup:
swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

incase anyone reading this is not aware of the usual good protocol/practice with regard TO spam emails?

do NOT download these emails ; use a tool such as mailwasher to filter and delete them from the server ; and of course do NOT reply to any of them, nor bounce them or ask them to remove you from their mailing list

unless of course you want a bucket load and them some OF spam e mails?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users