Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Startup; Problems With Nslookup, Rundll, Lsass, Rtvscan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick~

Nick~

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:48 AM

Hello,

My computer -- a standard 2005 Dell laptop -- runs slow as molasses on startup and shut down, and I'm sure it's all due to malware. I've got a bunch of problems that I can see. I've used (and occasionally still run) a couple freeware programs I heard good things about, like Lavasoft's ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. For all the crap they pick up though they don't seem to resolve the issues slowing down my computer. I'll try to be as specific as possible in detailing the problems.

-nslookup.exe usually starts sucking up memory once I boot up my computer -- in fact my cpu usage sits close to 100%! My computer's speed goes back to normal once I remove the process, but of course that doesn't remove the problem in its whole. It doesn't show up anymore (and hasn't for a couple days), but I have a feeling it's still there!

-I'm worried about lsass.exe as well. I've heard malware occasionally disguises itself under this name.

-Every time I boot my computer up I get an annoying message; the title bar of the message reads "RUNDLL," it has a large red "X" icon next to it, and it usually reads "Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe," although this time it read "cfpnomqi.dll" in the same file path. Under the file path in either it reads "The specified module could not be found." It's also accompanied by a REALLY annoying and really loud beeping noise, and that actually plagues a lot of my computer's applications. For example, when I use the find function (CTRL + F) in Firefox, and I search for something that isn't on the page, instead of the standard, minimal Windows chime I hear that same really loud beep.

-Rtvscan.exe sucks up a massive amount of memory. I've been considering deleting Norton though -- most people say it sucks. Good advice?

-My processes contain a bunch of svchost.exe's. Is this problematic?

-Firefox keeps progressively expanding its memory usage as I continue to use it. Weird.

-Advertisement icons randomly install themselves on my desktop

-I get another error message when I start up; the title bar reads "HP Cue Status Root." The body reads "HP Cue Status Root has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." And I'm offered to send or don't send an error report.

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

it sounds like malware but i am not sure
have you downloaded any thing recently?

also what is happening with firefox sounds like a memory leak so you should try this
1) browser.cache.disk.capacity and browser.sessionstore.enabled have zero affect on it. you can disable Firefox's RAM cache with browser.cache.memory.enable or limit it by setting browser.cache.memory.capacity manually, both in about:config.

2) If it's honestly bugging you for some reason, set config.trim_on_minimize to true (you may need to create a new boolean) and when you minimize Firefox, it'll free whatever RAM it doesn't need.

#3 Nick~

Nick~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:38 AM

Er, sorry, I'm not sure where I set these parameters. About:config? Dunno where that is!

I'm not clueless but I'm not terribly computer literate either. Sorry!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

I concur with the possibility of malware and believe elimination of the possibility...should be a priority.

After that is done, then individual file situations can be examined.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users