Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Problems,actually

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crom

crom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

Hello to all you knowledgeable people out there in Computerland.

I am a total Computer illiterate,in as much that I am pretty ancient and only recently how to spell Computer.

However,on to my problems.

I run Windows 98se and have no intention of upgrading.

Firstly,I downloaded a small programme from File Hippo,an Updater gizmo that checks your programmes for Updates.

It runs from the Desktop.

Or,in my case,doesn't run from anywhere.

When I activate it,I get a message saying that"Failed to load resources from resource file.Please check your Setup"

Everything else on this machine is working just fine,with the exception of my second problem.

I have a game which records gameplay for later replay.

It is saved in VCR format and I cannot play them.

I have Winamp and Windows Media Player 9, and heither of them support this particular format.

What to do?

In both cases?

Many Thanks in advance.

Crom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:09 AM

Hello and welcom from another win 98se user;Posted Image

may I make a few suggestions?

Firstly,I downloaded a small programme from File Hippo,an Updater gizmo that checks your programmes for Updates.
It runs from the Desktop.

Could you kindly tell us what this wee program is? it is quite possible it is not compatible with win 98se ?
I guess you have a section on your computer called My Documents?

try going into there and create a NEW folder called Downloads; into it you put ALL the EXE's from your new downloads so you know where to rummage to find them

then try to redownload that missing exe in to IT ?

of interest, which antivirus program do you have installed and what other protection programs?when, if ever did you last fully update each of them ?

you will of course be aware that windows 98se per se stopped updating some years ago ?

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

It is saved in VCR format and I cannot play them.

I have Winamp and Windows Media Player 9, and heither of them support this particular format.

Hi Crom.

I presume you are talking about Update Checker. I says its Win98 compatable but it also says you need Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installing, have you done this?

I don't think WMP will open a VCR file format but you can convert the VCR to MPEG2, do a web search. :thumbsup:

Edit: Just looking at the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 it doesn't appear to be Win98 compatable.

Edited by Keithuk, 05 March 2008 - 07:27 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

my next question, if that IS the program update checker in question,which programs are you wishing to check for updates?

when you can, please advise which programs you do have on there for antivirus and other protection :thumbsup:

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

Update Checker is beta. That means that it is not done & may not work correctly.
It also requires Net Framework which doesnt work with 98 or ME which they have listed.

Lot of the updates to the programs that they show in their list dont work with 98 Like Google Earth and Quicktime 7.
If you want to update a program I would go straight to the manufacturers website.
That way you know the source & can trust it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 crom

crom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Thanks to all for your replies.

The programme that started this difficulty is,as Keithuk surmised,Update Checker,supplied by File Hippo.

The odd thing is that,prior to a necessary format of C:,the bloody thing worked perfectly.

I use AVG for anti-virus,updated every day and I have .Net framework installed.

Whether it does anything or not is another question.

In answer to Ruby 1,this particular programme simply scans the Monster and reports any updates that may b available and those can be downloaded from File Hippo.

As regards converting VCR files to MPEG ,I have trawled Google and all I get are millions of sites all referring to the VCR Recorder.

You know,the antediluvian predecessor of the DVD Player.

I cannot find anything to do with VCR files as such,or,for that matter,any conversion programmes that even mention VCR format type files.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,as would the Resource Error thingy.

Many Thanks,

Crom

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

I note you say you have avg antivirus on board; please be pre- warned that , from September 2008 ,it is expected that avg will no longer be able to run on Win 98se computers due to their withdrawing support for that platform;

as many of us are already doing , you may wish to start considering what your alternative options are as you will neeed an active and working antivirus program ON there

you will also know that the Windows updates FOR 98se ceased some years ago?

would you kindly tell us what your other protection programs are?

#8 crom

crom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:04 AM

In reply to Ruby1,

I run Zone Alarm,AtGuard firewalls,and use Search and Destroy and ASquared malware protection.

I am aware that there is some sort of rumour circulating that AVG is giving up the ghost with 98,sometime in August of this year.

I will probably go back to Avast if this happens.

It is a good programme,but I found it to be a little cumbersome compared to AVG.

As for updates for Win 98,I have all the available patches and updates which I gathered over the years.

I also possess the Unofficial SP1 pack for Win 98se.

I did install that ,but,after the recent format that I did,I never bothered to do it again.

Anyhooo,that is all for the moment.

Regards,
Crom

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:27 AM

I note you say you have avg antivirus on board; please be pre- warned that , from September 2008 ,it is expected that avg will no longer be able to run on Win 98se computers due to their withdrawing support for that platform;

Grisoft say Win95 isn't supported now... and many users are still able to use AVG 7.5 ... its just that Grisoft won't make any claims after that point but you may still be able to use it...

So you may still be able to use it.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...backpage=12,sv=

Grisoft forum

you will also know that the Windows updates FOR 98se ceased some years ago?

Even though M$ don't support Win98 and ME you can still download the available updates of them http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users