Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want Automatic Xserver Start Back...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:21 AM

Some time ago, I disabled the option where the Xserver boots automatically (Ubuntu 7.10). I think it was with this command.
sudo mv /etc/rc2.d/S30gdm /etc/rc2.d/D01gdm

What's the best way to undo that? I have other people using my computer now, and the CLI login is a little too confusing for them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:30 AM

try this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You may get an error asking you about tour video bus. This is a good thing. It means it did rewrite the file. If this happens, then attempt to reload gdm:

/etc/init.d/gdm
then restart and see what happens.

Here, it can get a bit complicated. The next bits are only if you have a problem. IF you end up with a blank screen that you can't do anything on, then ctrl+alt+F1. This will take you to a command line. This time, reconfigure the graphics card at a lower resolution...sstart off maybe 800X600.

Once you have reconfigured, then restart X (you don't have to reboot, just type:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

or alternately, you could choose to:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Should work then. If not, you'll have to check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and look for the horizontal and vertical refresh of your monitor. Got to Monitor section and the part your looking for will be labled as:
HorizSync 30-107
VertRefresh 48-120
If this isn't there, or the values afterwards are blank, then you will have to enter those entries and/or values for your specific monitor by hand. This information is generally found in your owners manual or the manufacturers web site.

ALTERNATIVELY

You could bring up synaptic and reinstall x.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

Ok, that seems to have worked. Thanks.