Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Don't Let It Be The Mobo!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kungfuman2001

kungfuman2001

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

Ok, so I just built my new pc and everything was going fine!! In the middle of windows updates the system shuts off. Completely. I press the power button to get it going again, and the fans spin, weakly, twice and thats it. I have a brand new intel DG33TL MOBO and Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor, 500W power supply, 2GB RAM, Geforce 8600GT card. Thats about it. So any suggestions? Did my power supply go? Mobo? Checking all the cables again as we speak!

HELP!!!

all connections are good BUT I just noticed that the light on the back of my power supply is amber now. Not green.

Edited by kungfuman2001, 05 March 2008 - 12:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

Sounds like it may be the power supply. Do you have a spare you can test the system with?

#3 kungfuman2001

kungfuman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

*hangs head in shame*

No, I don't have a spare. At least nothing that will work. I may have an old 250W kicking around somewhere. Do you think that'll even have enough power to turn it on?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

Try removing the system from the case and placing it on a wood table or similar non conductive surface. Having only the CPU, Memory, Video installed see if you can get the MB to post. If not you can test the power supply by unhooking it from the motherboard and using a paper clip or small wire short the green wire to any of the black wires and see if it turns on. If the power supply turns on I would suspect the motherboard. If you are good with a voltmeter you can test the voltage output of the power supply comparing to this diagram.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

With the power supply unplugged, set the voltage selector switch to 220 for a minute then reset it to 110. Maybe, just maybe the PS will reset. Some do
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 kungfuman2001

kungfuman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:53 PM

ok, so just to bring everyone up to speed here, a friend of mine was pretty damn sure that it was the power supply that was defective, soooo... I ordered a new one (700W) and put it in. Same problem.

Then we tried removing the bios battery, powering on then off, replacing the battery and powering on again. NOW... all fans spin as if the system is running normally but all the lights in the case flash continuously. I still don't get anything on my display. If its the mobo, is there usually any visual indicator on it? All the capacitors look ok, nothing is 'popped'. I also took a look at the processor again and everything LOOKS ok. I did also note that although the system has power the dvd drive will not open so its not getting power.

Next I was going to follow Sneakycyber's directions to see if the mobo will at least post BUT I think this is a good indication that it isn't going to. I'll rip everything apart and try it on my next day off. Any other suggestions before I do that?

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:13 AM

New power supply and the DVD drive won't open? Try the comupter without the drive it could be bad causing a short.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 kungfuman2001

kungfuman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

just another quick note... I tried disconnecting the dvd drive as you recommended but it did not have any effect. I won't be able to dismantle my pc and test the mobo until friday, so if you think of any other things I can try just fire em out there. I really appreciate ALL the advice! Thanks again!

#9 kungfuman2001

kungfuman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

Ok... really confused now! :thumbsup: Over the last week I've ripped apart and reassembled my pc about 6 times! To my knowledge I didn't do anything differently, aside from the order that I added components back in. I got a series of different beep codes leading me all over the internet! Came across some interesting suggestions as to what the problem could be. I loved the one that said my pc could be malfunctioning because of being too close to an alien craft! :flowers: I wish I bookmarked that one! It was good for a laugh! The good news is that my pc is now working again!! Yay, but... WTF?? Have many people out there had similar experiences? Is this just an Intel thing?

Confused but Happy!

#10 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

glad you got it sorted, but aint it a pain when you dont know what the problem was, had it just last week with a ma PC freezing at post and now its loading no problems :S
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users