Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Win98 works, XP dosn't !

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul67

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:25 AM

Please can any body help me !
I have been pulling my hair out for the last 3 months !

I started off with a MOBO that would not connect onto the internet or was just bringing a web page up after 2 mins! i checked the connection on my laptop and this was fine, i then got NTL to ping my mobo and they said thier was an intermitent fault. I firstly suspected drivers or software as the usb port was working fine, so i formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of xp pro, but still no internet. so i got new mobo, same problem! not hardware!
i then decided for a laugh to install win 98 on the first mobo, it works first time on the internet! so i formatted the hard drive again,put XPpro back on with the first mobo and guess what it works!! but still my new mobo wont work, iv'e tryed every thing i can think of and this is the 3rd brand new mobo, someone help me!!!!!!!!!

cheer's, Paul 67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

omg, this is awful!

how old is the machine? the motherboard?
what revision is the bios?
have you tried updated drivers from motherboard

is the ethernet part of the motherboard or a pcmcia

some pcmcia cards (and motherboards) are completely
incompatible with XP!!!

"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#3 Paul67

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:08 AM

This is a brand new motherboard, everything else works fine ! just no internet, Rj45 and usb are the same,

#4 acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:58 AM

Rj45 and usb are the same

Do you mean you have plugged in a USB NIC , or does the MOBO use the USB bus to support the NIC ? Have you tried dropping a PCI NIC in just to see if it works ? 3Com , 3C905b-tx , cards are cheap (as little as $5) and are supported by just about all OS' . If you are using USBI would ditch it for a PCI card either wired or wireless .

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Talon

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:06 PM

acklan is right.

it would also be nice to know exactly which mobo you are talking about. Type/Model/ASUS/ABIT/?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users