Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offsite Backup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

Dear Community March 4, 2008
Having recently recovered from a Vundo infection ( Thanks to Sifumike at the HJT forum) I have become a bit obsessed with back up and other safe guards. I have heard of two companies offering offsite, over the internet, back up service. Mozy and Carbonite. Carbonite is less money , around $50 per year and supposedly unlimited space. I am not sure how it would work with Quickbooks. Mozy is more expensive $3.95 license and $.50 per GB. I have the same concern with Quickbooks. Other then Quickbooks I have a folder with business contact info. going back to 1990.Mostly word docs and some family pictures.
Anyone have any experience with either of these two services? Especially in a small home business setting.
All input is appreciated!!
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

Instead of paying out money, why not invest in a portable harddrive. You can back up all of your docs, pics ect when ever you want also quickbooks saves files as a QBB file you can copy it out to the portable hard drive when ever you want. Also you can back up your postable harddrive to dvd disks then you will have two backups.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Agreed.

Personally I wouldnt trust ANYONE with my Quickbooks data. Financial records arent something that you want to entrust to someone else for safekeeping. You never really know what they are doing with your data.

Why dont you get a 2 gig jump drive? They are about 20 bucks or so.
Should be plenty of space for your needs
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for your responses monty007 and Evesee
I do make DVD backups regularly . In between I back up to a flash drive every day or so. I have a portable hard drive which I may start using. I also have a Maxtor one touch that I used until late 2006. Something was wrong with the initial set up though. Once it filled instead of going back and rewriting over the first backups it just advised that there was no more space. I was reluctant to do much with it because even out of date it still would have clean copies of my original configuration. I use the computer daily but I can't say I am really comfortable messing with it
Offsite backup is interesting because it offers protection from fire and theft. Even if the system is gone I could pull back my data. Once set up the offsite service will back up documents as changed. The advise that being automatic you won’t forget to stay current. I have done some research on both but am still not sure which offers the best value. Also I have yet to find a reference for anyone running Quickbooks and backing up successfully with either of these. I may have to search further.
Thanks again for your response!
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Quickbooks internal backup feature is designed to be used on a floppy, external or jump drive. The backup files have a QBB extenstion. The working data has QBW. It writes everything to one data file businessname.qbw.
If you use a custom logo on your receipts, or whatever, you want the logo file as well.
You may already know that.

These are located in the program files\intuit\quickbooks folder.

I love Quickbooks. Its a slick program!

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

If you need offsite backup, take a USB stick and put it in a safe deposit box. Or, give it to a relative. Or, leave one at work and leave one at home.

All options are cosiderably faster and cheaper than Mozy or Carbonite.

Billy3

Edit:

I love Quickbooks. Its a slick program!

Have you ever tried to back it up from a system that couldnt boot, because some business owner was not careful?
About the only program thats a bigger pain to back up is Outlook.

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 05 March 2008 - 03:37 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

Agreed

Back it up onto a jump drive.
Considerably cheaper. You know where your data is.
And who is looking at it. That would be only you.

Not only that, but we are talking about financial records too.
You dont want to entrust a company that you never heard of before with that now do you?
And to pay them for it too?

Get an jump drives and take it offsite.
Thats your best bet

#8 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

The files I am always most concerned with are word docs and the Quickbook files. I have customer files in word and early versions back to 91. Have used Quickbooks since 1999. I do like Quickbooks . Esay to use and edit. Like any program it does have some quirks that although irritating at first can be worked around. Using QB 2006 currently. QB 99 did everything I needed but you have to go with the upgrades or get left in the dust.
I understand your points about backup. I use a memory stick for daily working backups and every couple weeks make a DVD backup. Once a ¼ I make a DVD and it goes in the Bank.
Both offsite backup services I mentioned use double encryption. I know that offsite backup is used by many large businesses. Carbonite has been advertising on the Boston radio stations for a while now. $50.00 a year is pretty cheap for an additional backup resource even for a small home business. I would like to hear of anyone that has had good or bad experiences with either Mozy or Carbonite.
Thanks to everyone for your input!
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

If you're already taking dailies to a flash drive and weaklies (sorry, weeklies :thumbsup: ) to a safe depsit box, then you dont really need another backup medium. Thats plenty. Just do a weekly backup, instead of a quarterly backup to the dvds, and you will have an even cheaper system that allows you to go back in your records to any week in time!

Yes, I know $50/yr is not a lot for a small biz. But $50 on something that was completely unneeded seems bad to me.

Use that $50 to get some more blank dvds. They are a much more viable solution than the online backup solutions.

As a side note, remember that these online services have to back up over your internet connection. Assuming you have an average broadband connection (384kbps up), its going to take you several hours to do the backup each time. And you dont have the ability to restore to a week ago with such services, only to the last backup.

If you want to spend money, get something like True Image Workstation which will let you save the os, programs, and everything else along with your files, allowing you to resume working in minutes if you have a hardware failure, without losing any custom configuration. Its $80, but its ONE TIME.

Just my 2 cents. (No pun intended)

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

The problem with any backup media is exactly the opposite of backup.
Meaning how easy is it to restore and does it really work.

Any backup media is worthless in a critical situation if the restore operation fails for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users