Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is An Upgraded Cpu Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jmoore

Jmoore

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could get your expert opinions on my system as far as the next best upgrade. Right now I have a 1.7Ghz AMD processor, 256 7600GS video card, 1 GB RAM, and running XP Pro. I'm looking to get some more power out of my system for gaming and was wondering what my best option is for an upgrade. My mobo is an MSI K7N2GM2-LSR (MS-7051G) if that helps. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:17 PM

yeah, I think I would go for the processor upgrade, and maybe get some extra RAM while you're at it, since its so cheap anyways.

Since newegg appears to be down....

I'll just assume your mobo can handle dual core, and suggest that. You can get some pretty cheap ones these days, like even a medium speed brisbane or something would probably be lower than 120$.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

I'd just wait until you can get a new system. It really depends on what socket you have. If you have a Socket A, I really recommend you wait to get a new system. Remember many of the $400-$600 ones can beat that speed, and be dual core, and come with flat panels now.

I doubt you can even find a Socket A CPU now....

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

You have a socket A.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2GM-V

I dont think you can even still get a new CPU for that socket.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Jmoore

Jmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:15 AM

That's kind of what I was expecting..any recommendations on a new system???????

#6 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Build it yourself, for one.

How much are you willing to spend on it?

Posted Image
My art

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Build it yourself if you are planning to spend over $1.5k on it. Systems less than that are usually cheaper to have someone else build it.

See these:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/categ...;l=en&s=dhs

I like dells, but thats my personal opinion. Yours may very ;)

Billy3
Posted Image

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

I've grown to dislike dells, even though i'm using an ancient on from back in 02.

You might just be able to upgrade the mobo and the processor at the same time, and still be able to use all of your old parts, but you'd have to check a lot of compatibility.

I would only go for a dell if it came with a good monitor, and had no video card, because they always rip you off on those no matter what, from what I've seen.

Posted Image
My art

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Agreed. Dell is cheaper than building yourself for lower end systems (i.e., ones that probably wouldnt have good video cards anyway).

If its a gaming machine, yes, build it yourself ;)

Billy34
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users