Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nice And Small Linux Distro List

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Indy452

Indy452

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

I'm new to this forum and was hoping that someone could help me produce a list of the "small" linux distros.

I've used puppy and DSL but would like to try others but I'm not sure what else is considered small. Can some of you folks help by giving me names of the smaller linux distros?

I like to use DSL but one of the machines I want to use it on has funky wacked out color when I use DSL in it. :thumbsup: I heard Zenwalk was considered smaller but I'm not positive, anybody know?

Thanks for the help.

Neal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

You could try running SLAX (quite nice, actually).

By smaller, do you mean by size (bootable on Live CD) or by doesn't use up a lot of resources?

#3 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

You could try running SLAX (quite nice, actually).

By smaller, do you mean by size (bootable on Live CD) or by doesn't use up a lot of resources?

Yeah sorry, I should have been more specific. I mean small distros that can be used on older hardware so resource friendly when it comes to older computers with P2 & 3 processors with 128 or less ram. I like bootable cd's as long as I have an option to install to hdd.

Neal

#4 roon

roon

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

try xubuntu. It has a XFCE desktop so it shouldn't be a resource hungry OS. you can download it from www.xubuntu.com
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Processor@2.2Ghz per core, Asus M2N-E mobo, 1GBx2 PC-5300 DDRII RAM, 80 GB Seagate SATA drive 7200 RPM (ST380817AS), Nvidia nforce570 mcp chipset, XFX nvidia Geforce 8400GS 256MB(64 bit) 512MB-TC Graphics card, Bridge BM 17c monitor.

#5 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

I decided to give Vector 5.9 gold a try and Boy this sure is nice! I'm running it quite nicely on a P3 550mhz processor with 384MB RAM.

The install was a little lengthy but so far worth it. I like it a little better than the various Ubuntu's I've been using the last few months.

Neal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users