Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Information For My Dial Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Computer-Noob

Computer-Noob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

I hope this is the right forum to post in.......... Recently i have had this MediaCodec Zlob Trojan Downloader on my computer and i couldnt get rid of it.... so i did some research and found a program called SmitFraudFix from the website: http://www.precisesecurity.com/blogs/2006/08/27/media-codec/ dont get me wrong, it did exactly what i needed it to do... and its a great program, the only thing i have experienced wrong with it however is, it got rid of the dreaded zlob and some other junk, it made my computer run alot smoother and faster, the only thing that bugs me is, i play games on the internet, Diablo 2, Gore, and starcraft and i can tell right away that something is killing my dial up, b/c ive never had problems w/ it before i used Smitfraudfix, im just wondering if anyone has a solution for what im experiencing

THANKS!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:22 AM

hello and welcomPosted Image

to start with it sounds as if you still need to be confirmed as trojan free :thumbsup:

could you kindly tell us which windows version you are running, what your antivirus program is and what other protection you have on there;when did you last fully update and run them all ? I will suggest to the Mods that this thread is moved to the ' Am I infected 'section :flowers:

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

You might give this a try. It says it's just for XP, but if you look at the "About" tab, it says it works from 98 on. I've used this a couple of times in the past. It worked. You can have it make a backup and/or do your own System Restore first to play it safe.

WinSock XP Fix
fix XP internet connectivity

Our Rating: 3 stars (Good)

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use. We actually tested it on a test machine that was having a Winsock problem due to some Adware removal, and after running the utility and rebooting, the connectivity was restored.

Pros: May save you hours of headaches; can fix tricky connection problems

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/WinSock_X...nsockxpfix.html

Lots of satisfied "customers" here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/WinSock_...ock_XP_Fix.html

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

we really still need to know which antivirus and other programs are on board and which version of windows is involved before vaguelly really stabbing in the dark with suggestions that may be unsuitable for the computer in question :thumbsup:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

something is killing my dial up,

Does that mean you can't access the Internet at all or your having problems while connected? I'd wait on using WinSock XP Fix until you provide us with more specific information.

Please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix".
-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

we really still need to know which antivirus and other programs are on board and which version of windows is involved before vaguelly really stabbing in the dark with suggestions that may be unsuitable for the computer in question :thumbsup:

With all due respect, ruby1, I don't believe I was vaguely stabbing in the dark. Computer_Noob said:

...found a program called SmitFraudFix ...it did exactly what i needed it to do... t got rid of the dreaded zlob and some other junk, it made my computer run alot smoother and faster, the only thing that bugs me is, i play games on the internet, Diablo 2, Gore, and starcraft and i can tell right away that something is killing my dial up, b/c ive never had problems w/ it before i used Smitfraudfix, im just wondering if anyone has a solution for what im experiencing

Perhaps his system isn't as clean as he thinks. Yes, that's still a possibility. I based my recommendation on what he told us. So, using the winsock fix may be all he needs right now. If it doesn't work, then it would be time to look into other areas. As long as he makes a backup, the risk of trying this first is minimal.

I realize this forum specializes in helping people with serious malware and virus problems. But sometimes it doesn't hurt to try the obviously simple thing, before throwing in everything but the kitchen sink, to solve one specific problem.

Edited by mommabear, 06 March 2008 - 01:35 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:48 AM

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted...

As a last resort, using it as suggested is not the obvious simple thing to do. While that utility may resolve the problem, its not necessary to start off using it until we gather more information. From what Computer-Noob said: "something is killing my dial up", I don't know what that means.

And though Computer-Noob is only complaining of one specific problem, that does not mean he is malware free. Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation not from using smitfraudfix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:26 AM

if you CAN get on line via another computer(?) can you kindly tell us what windows version IS giving you problems, what your antivirus program is,and other protection?

my continuing 'concern' is that the computer you have problems with is on dial up and has gotten infected;

this linkgoogle searchy

gives some useful info about what might have happened to you; BUT, as you are on dial up , we need to ensure you are free completely from the infection that gripped you ; I suspect that you may NOT be

if you are able can you post back with the requested information?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users