Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

My Office Assistant is gone -- not just, hidden, completely gone. I noticed this today when I went to use MS Word, and got an error message that said, "The Office Assistant requires Microsoft Agent 2.0 or later." I searched for the agentsvr.exe, and I had it (actually two copies, since I was trying to backup files yesterday). I downloaded the link suggested here, but when I installed it, nothing seemed to happen.

Computer: Dell Opti-Plex GX-260, with Windows XP Home Ed., Service Pack 2

Also, my Search for files and folders program (in the Start Menu, not the Search button found in My Computer or My Documents) isn't working. And my System Information in System Tools can't read any information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

My approach would be: repair the system; then repair the application.

Available tools: System Restore; Recycle Bin; Events Logs; MS Office CDs; SFC<caution!>

In a properly working XP load, SFC utility invoked from the command line seems to gain nothing. That is opinion from readings in the forums; it is not fact. That being said, XP protects all system files, and seems to perform the sfc-function in realtime.

Events logs may establish the beginning of your problems. Pick the System Restore accordingly.

The Recycle Bin can be used to recover deleted files. This may be sufficent for the applications.

I believe that using the MS-Office CDs offers the option to 'repair' the application.

If the Dell computer came bundled with an oem xp load, the SFC utility uses a 'i386' directory saved on the HD.

And lastly, save your personal files; Use Dell's Recovery software, or XP installation CD.

The preceding was general information. As you investigate your problem, new findings will suggest changes in the approach. The drastic steps at the end of the list may never need to be exercised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users