Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lufthansa Airbus Wing Strike At Hamburg.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

This is scarey.The quick thinking of the Pilot,to immediately power up,probably saved a catastrophe.

It's a terrible feeling when this happens, and your a passenger.Happened to me in as a passenger in a Jumbo 747 in the late 80's. The plane landed at a similar angle,and the screaming of the tyres, and earsplitting sound of the plane,twisting and creaking sounds, were terrifying.Let alone the screams of 400 passengers.Landed safe in the end,but I do not wish to experience that again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Wow... that is pretty crazy. I'd be pretty scarred on that plane.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:50 AM

well its been a media fuzz here. sad is that officials only went public after the above video was circulated and found. Supposedly the 24 year old female co-pilot did the landing and the pilot the "recovery." nothing strange about co-pilots doing take offs and landings / flying, they got to get their practice too. Whats not really sure is why that particular runway was taken. Hamburg is known for strong winds and the runway chosen on second try was the better to chose wind wise from the beginning. Looks as if there is a full fledged investigation running now, we ll see what comes out of it. Sure a great thing the pilot did, but why take that runway in the first place and whats really stupid is the fuzz some of the media is making out of it.

Edited by Yourhighness, 05 March 2008 - 05:51 AM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

I'm not sure that's entirely the case. If I'm not mistaken that particular flight got caught up in a severe squall-line storm and a mother of a system that spawned it (peak gusts of 163kts at altitude and over 100kts at ground level)

Chances are the pilot would have been basing his/her decision on a METAR (weather report for aircraft) issued up to 30 minutes prior to landing in a very unpredictable environment. IMO they deserve a medal for putting it down in one piece anywhere in that area at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users