Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive Issues Please Advise

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eaglehorse

eaglehorse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

I have a friend that has a Toshiba Laptop that I believe the harddrive is dead :flowers: . They are getting a pex rom error media cable not connected. Is it possible that one of the first sectors are bad.
I don't know if it is revelevant or not I had them try running a memory test using a xubuntu live disk and they saw no errors. At the same time there were no partitions detected. :thumbsup: So things are not looking good.
They are using Win XP Pro unsure if 32 bit or 64 bit. Now for the question I know the answer to but I am going to ask anyway to double check my thoughts. They do not have the OEM disk for the toshiba but they have an OEM disk for Dell. Could I use that to check the hard drive? I know that I could not use that disk for a reinstall in the toshiba because Toshiba has their own drivers for some of the Hardware componets but.(the famous last words)
Could I use Some spare space on my ubuntu HD to colne the hard drive for reinstall in new HD or at least pull Docs that are not backed up else where.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

You should be able to download the HDD manufacture test program and test the drive. You can download them from the drive manufactures website. I am not familiar with xubuntu live, I know using BartPE (windows artificial environment) you should be able to access the HDD and using a USB disk or similar be able to get important files off the drive if you can read the drive at all. As for installing windows if you have an XP disk that is the same version IE: Media center, Home, or Pro you can reinstall and use the Toshiba's XP license key and download the drivers from Toshiba's website. If the laptop does not have the license sticker on it you can use BartPe and SIW to look up the License. Again only if you can read the Hard drive.

Edit: IF you do not have access to a full XP version you should be able to order replacement Disks from Toshiba for a small fee. Usually 20.00

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 March 2008 - 03:59 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users