Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gmobcc

gmobcc

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:35 AM

I am attempting to reinstall Windows XP Home on a Dell Dimension 4300 with the factory CD and I cannot get to the computer to start from CD. I need to format the computer and start it from the installation CD. Can anyone help me get around this?
Holly rusted hard drives Batman !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 superfuzz

superfuzz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:44 AM

You have to get into your bios as the computer loads up, and change the setting that determines what the computer reads first ie. floppy drive or hard drive...change this to your cd drive, save exit and restart with the CD in and it should load with the xp cd so you can format and reinstall

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

F2 at the boot screen will get you into the BIOS , on most Dell's .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 gmobcc

gmobcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:47 PM

I had changed the BIOS to start from CD and still would not read. It wasnt after several attemps that the message 'load from CD' came up. I was then able to format the computer and install Windows XP Home.

Thanks anyway
Holly rusted hard drives Batman !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users