Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade On Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

hi all,,, i went to upgrade the ram on my laptop from 256meg to 512 meg,,,, when i look in task mannager or on the ram part of PC Wizzard, it says there is 256 of ram,,, even on crucial it says this, but when i opend up the ram bay to see what ram it is there's only 1 stick of 128meg, can the mobo have intergrated ram on it ???
I did the free crucial scan & it says my pc will take 512meg of ram, so if this laptop dose have 128meg on the mobo then a stick of 512meg is over what it can take or dose it just use the 512meg stick and not the 128meg on the mobo,,, if this makes sence,,, because if it puts it over then i can only fit 1 stick of 256meg giveing me only 384meg of ram.
I dont have the specs to my laptop but here's what i know
os,,, xp home sp2
256meg of ram
amd athalon
,,, when i get back to work i will post my specs of PC Wizzard if this helps,,,,,,, thank you all
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

Give us the make and model number of laptop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

hi mark,,, its a tiny which use to be time computers befor they went tits up,,, i'll take a look for the model number when i get back to work.

ok,,, here are the specs to my laptop

Manufacturer : Tiny Computers
Mainboard : ECSM i_Buddie
Chipset : SiS 740
Processor : AMD Athlon 4 @ 1200 MHz
Physical Memory : 224 MB (1 x 128 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS650/1/GL/GX,740 GUI 2D/3D Accelerator
Hard Disk : HITACHI_DK23FB-40 (37 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : MATbleepA UJDA760 DVD/CDRW
Monitor Type : 14 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

i hope this helps ,,,,,, thanks

Edited by figgis41, 05 March 2008 - 04:19 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:15 AM

I believe your Tiny is likely to be a rebadged ECS (ECSM is ECS Malaysia) such as an A535, which is identified as an iBuddie. And these units do indeed have 128M of RAM embedded on the motherboard. The maximum capacity is 640M, as indicated for example here:

http://www.memoryx.net/ecselcoia5mo2.html

If this is the case, fitting a 512M SODIMM would give you this amount of memory.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

hi platypus,,,, yes i have also found it has 128meg embedded on the mobo,,,,,, it sed on crucial that it can only hold 512meg so i have orderd a stick of 256meg,,,, i wish i had waited now and got 512 insted,,,, o well, its cheap so i will look into it a bit more and get a 512 aswell,,,,, i think my mate has a spare slot in his laptop,,, lol
thanks for your help.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users