Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2003 Professional

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 simonrjnash

simonrjnash

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

since doing a system recovery on my laptop,(Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005) (Advent 7109) Microsoft Office 2003 programs will not open, they install perfectly, when you attemp to run a program like word, excel, powerpoin etc. it says "Microsoft Office Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application". it then closes when you press ok. i have unistalled and reinstalled but that has not fixed the problem. i created a new account like a temp account, and office works perfectly on there, but when i try on my actual account office will not work. i have also tried copying the registry file from the other account like others have suggested, it hasn't worked. and my account is the administrator so i have permissions to everything. any ideas???? thanks

Edited by simonrjnash, 04 March 2008 - 11:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

If all else fails, try this:
Log on to the computer by using an Administrator user account.
Start Microsoft Windows Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
Click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
Open the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
Right-click Opa11.dat, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab.
Click Advanced.
Click the Permissions tab.
Click to select Everyone in the Permission entries list, and then click Edit.
Click to select the Full Control check box.
Click OK three times.

#3 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

i tried what you said but it made no difference, i already had full permission anyway. any other ideas??

would it be possible to transfer all data from my current account to a new account?

#4 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Sorry that did not work. Ok; did you install it from the default admin account (eg, named Administrator) or did you install it from a different account that also has admin permissions (this is usually the account that is created during an XP install where you select a user name)?

Edited by ucanfixit, 04 March 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#5 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

i installed it from the only account on the laptop, which is the one that was on there when it was created, but it is just renamed because i have a password on the laptop, but the account is the admin account and and has permissions for everything

#6 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Based on your latest information, I suspect Office 2003 is behaving normally but I can't reference any Microsoft documentation to verify my assumptions. However, let me say that your specific configuration appears to be an attempt to make your laptop more secure when; in fact, you have made it less secure by running XP from within the actual administrator's account. Therefore, if any attack on your PC is successful, it will be made directly on a resource that is commonly reserved (and protected) to handle such situations. Also, during any Microsoft product installation, the installer usually provides a prompt to "create access for current or all users" and, technically, the administrator's account is not a "user" account.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

Do you have to boot into safe mode to get the default hidden admin account to show?

If there's only one login in safe mode?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:16 PM

A followup reference to DaChew's post. On my PC, I have 3 accounts:
A guest account (login via normal access)
A user account that runs with administrative permissions (login via normal + safe mode)
The actual administrator account (login via safe mode only)

Edited by ucanfixit, 05 March 2008 - 10:22 PM.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

It's been a while since I messed up an xp install, but if I remember right I removed the xp cd after one of the early reboots and then ended up with the default and no longer hidden admin account as my only one, I reloaded.

I have never had this problem with Office 2003.
Chewy

#10 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hello Dachew,

Now I'm curious... you said you were able to duplicate the original poster's condition after a partial install. Then you said you fixed it via a reload. And finally, you said, you never had this problem with Office 2003. Now, does your last statement apply to the partial install and the reload install or both? Specifically, did you test Office 2003 after the partial install and it worked or did you realize your mistake and test it only after doing a proper reinstallation? If the latter is the case, then your reference to never having a problem is probably not relevant to the original poster's current condition because I have also used 2003 without ever having a problem as well.

Edited by ucanfixit, 05 March 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:34 PM

I didn't test any other software if I remember right, I would reccomend reinstalling XP if he's using the default admin account?
Chewy

#12 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

starting up the laptop normally i just see my account "Simon" but when i start it in safe mode i see "Simon" & "Admin"

#13 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:49 AM

simonrjnash,

Either create a "user" account or reinstall per Dachew's recommendations.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

Before taking drastic measures, you may want to give this a try:
  • Create a Windows Account with full control admin rights, and then go ahead and log into that new account.
  • When under the newly created account, open every Office product you have, then close one at a time (Excel, Word, PP, etc...)
  • After opening every Office App, go into the registry editor (Start | Run, then type in Regedit)
  • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office
  • Right-click on the Office 'folder' and select "Export", save the .reg file to somewhere you will be able to find it
  • Log off your temp Windows account, and log back in under your normal Windows account.
  • Open regedit again, and then click on File->Import and open the file you previously created.
  • After it says that it was successfully imported, attempt to open an Office program
  • Be sure to delete the temporary account you created.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

I would reccomend reinstalling XP if he's using the default admin account?

Before taking drastic measures,

Either create a "user" account

the only issue i see now is simon a "limited user" if so admin needs to give him admin priviledges back
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users