Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopzilla Ads Are Not Helping New Members!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:21 AM

Hi everyone,

We have an issue here at BC. I know that this may be out of our hands, but we have a massive STOPZilla add right in front of new members or people who are looking to remove malware and don't know that STOPZilla is malware. I knwo this because a friend of mine has a computer that is loaded with malware and he came to the site. First thing he saw was the STOPZilla add and then he went and got it before I could stop him. (He signed off MSN before I could tell him!)

Regards,
David.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:43 AM

I downloaded and installed STOPZilla,ages ago, and it messed up my system.Worst, almost impossible to uninstall,all the traces.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

What makes StopZilla malware? I just installed it and it did a fairly good job of identifying malware I was infecting myself with.

#4 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

Hey Lawrence,

to be honest I have had a few reports of it behaving a bit "bogus" in terms of detection. Considering this: http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/and-yet-another-security-vendor.html and this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/51852/may-be-infected-with-cws-securitytoolbar-others/ I am not a friend of it. Its still no reason to exclude it from Banners though. I dont know what adnetwork is utilised, but I do know that for google adwords there is a list that you can include to block certain sites from showing "rogue" ads. Just my 2cents

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

I am going to remove the affiliate ad for stopzilla tonight/tomorrow, but if they advertise through adsense that will stay there.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

if you use the HOSTS file you should not see ANY ads on any web page ; makes surfin' much more pleasureable and you do NOT play 'ads dodgems ' :thumbsup:

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Well I have heard bad things about it and that it is malware. The ratings for it are extremely low. (Cnets rating for example,a swell as people who have used it.)

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

if you use the HOSTS file you should not see ANY ads on any web page ; makes surfin' much more pleasureable and you do NOT play 'ads dodgems ' :flowers:

Well at BC, all you have to do is register an account and you do not see any ads as well :thumbsup:

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

googlesyndication's affiliation with aavalue.com is an achilles heel

I have been looking for the marketing types at google to compromise integrity

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/aavalue.com/summary/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Well I have heard bad things about it and that it is malware. The ratings for it are extremely low. (Cnets rating for example,a swell as people who have used it.)

DO you mean this ? I for one find it rather 'safe'Posted Image

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

Very few do find it a user friendly Software.Ruby1.As David 28 said,read CNET user experiences with this product.I certainly am glad it's off my System.Far better and safer products available for download with excellent write ups.
Bleeping Computer giving STOPZilla the Heave-Ho is a good move.IMO.

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:34 AM

Yes, as Grinler said, all you have to do is log-in or register to remove the ads. :thumbsup: It isn't that, it is people who need their malware problems fixed and then they see it, then they have more problems, therefore thinking that BC endorsed that program, even though we don't, then they don't recommend us. :flowers:

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

Very few do find it a user friendly Software.Ruby1.As David 28 said,read CNET user experiences with this product.I certainly am glad it's off my System.Far better and safer products available for download with excellent write ups.
Bleeping Computer giving STOPZilla the Heave-Ho is a good move.IMO.

could you kindly clarify if you are referring to the Hosts text file ?

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:51 AM

He is referring to stopzilla. This topic is being closed as it is starting to go off topic and we are beating the original one to death.

As for stopzilla, I plan on doing some testing with it today to see how well it does removing infections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users