Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refer To Disk By Name Instead Of Letter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 upchuck

upchuck

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

There is a flashdrive that contains applications and shortcuts to the applications.

The drive letter of the flashdrive is hardwired into the shortcuts (g:\apps\firefox.exe).

The flashdrive is assigned a letter each time it is plugged in. However, depending on the peripherals on the computer the letter will not always be the same.

The flashdrive is named flash. Can I somehow substitute the drive name (flash) for the drive letter in the shortcut? eg: flash:\apps\firefox.exe (which doesn't work.)

TIA

upchuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

you can't do that... computers just use drives as a set place so they can locate things better. I don't think you can do it at all, and I don't know why you would want to, really. If anything, you would have to somehow set the flashdrive to always be named a certain letter, but I wouldn't know exactly how to do that...

Why do you want to do it anyways?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

these are a couple of options that you can use to make a drive always have the same path here is one
drive letter manager
if that is to complicated and you dont need that there is also this:
THIS IS A DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK!!
download for the remount utility
if you are uncomfortable with directly downloading a file here is the page that i got it from (to find the section with this in it just do a search for "My Tools for USB drives" and you can find that section)
here is the link
usb tools
i hope that helps you

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

Nope. You can, however, place something like the Portable Apps Suite Launcher on the drive that will use relative paths when launching applications.

Windows uses volume labels for continence, and are not valid in UNC paths.

Billy3

Edit: Sorry, here's a link
http://portableapps.com/

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 03 March 2008 - 09:09 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 upchuck

upchuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thank you powerjuice for the links. That may solve the dilemma.

And that you Billy O'Neal for the link to Portable Apps. That's a great site. I use portable Firefox, Thunderbird and Filezilla on a regular basis.

upchuck

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

And that you Billy O'Neal for the link to Portable Apps. That's a great site. I use portable Firefox, Thunderbird and Filezilla on a regular basis.

No, thank you for giving me something to do with my poor pathetic life ;)

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users