Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Suspicion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blueraider

blueraider

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

I was given a HP xt963 to work on, on the side. sometimes i boots up and sometimes it doesn't when it does start it runs fine, other times you can press the power button and it does nothing. the green light in the back of the power supply is green so i know its getting power. I am thinking that its going out? If my assumptions are true what wattage will i need to get for it as i am pretty sure its an atx psu.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueraider

blueraider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

I just now flip the voltage switch to the other side for a few seconds and flipped it back and now its workin. I have no idea if i should get a new psu or not.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

On some units that resets it. If it trips again, replace it

Edited by garmanma, 03 March 2008 - 09:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 blueraider

blueraider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:47 AM

got home this morning and it infact tripped again time to go shopping for a new psu.

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:29 AM

Mine does the same thing :thumbsup: It seems when the room is cool it "tripps" but when its warm, no problem. I don't know.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 blueraider

blueraider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

Well took it to circuit city and firedog tested it, and infact it is the power supply so i bought a new one today and hooked it up, and it booted no problem. problem is that it won't fit in the case will taking out the bracket make it fit or can i just leave it in the case.

#8 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

Feel your pain, to get mine in i had to take the entire case apart and force it through the top using a butterknife to pry the frame apart enough to get it in there. If you're talking about running the PSU externally I wouldn't reccommend it, just from the fact that if it gets knocked over or something you could break your motherboard also, or just short everything out even if it didn't get knocked over. If you're talking about taking the PSU apart then that's a definite no. Personally I'd try prying it in there, if you're positive it won't fit then check out the specs on your old PSU and see what form factor it is, ATX 2.0, mini-atx whatever, take yours back and get another one...cheaper at newegg, but if you're in a hurry...

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

Are you sure that the PSU in your computer was a ATX? Some computer companies like Dell use proprietary devices like a PSU which not only is of non ATX proportions but the pin out of the 20/4 motherboard connector isn't the same as a ATX PSU which means big trouble if you plug in a ATX type PSU.

Edited by dc3, 16 March 2008 - 09:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

Standard supply
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/
http://cgi.ebay.com/
Best bet is to get one that fits, not sure what bracket you're talking about. You can go here: http://www.newegg.com/. Any one you click on, if you go to "detailed specs." will give you the dimensions
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

This is rather curious, the PSU in that computer is listed as a ATX which means that the dimension should be 4" X 5.75". Is that the size of the bay you have?

Edited by dc3, 16 March 2008 - 12:26 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 blueraider

blueraider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I had a extra case and just moved everything to that one and its working fine now.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

This is rather curious, the PSU in that computer is listed as a ATX which means that the dimension should be 4" X 5.75". Is that the size of the bay you have?

Just put one in a HP, standard height and width, but only 4" long. Had to shoehorn a standard unit in it
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users