Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Know What Type Of Hdd I Need

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dyanisme

Dyanisme

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

Mine is apparently dying, but I haven't a clue what type I need for my computer. When I checked out the cost of a new HDD, I found that there are ATA, SATA, IDE, EIDE and probably mroe that I don't remember. My computer is fairly old (a Piii from 2001), so I'm guessing that newer drives won't work in my system.

Also, how can I tell what brand I have now without opening up the computer to look for the label? When I checked my computer hardward, I found this listed WDC WD100EB-11BHFO. It's related to my HDD somehow, but I haven't a clue what what means.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

You need an IDE drive. This is the same as EIDE, and to a lesser extent, ata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Drive_Electronics

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Dyanisme

Dyanisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

Cool! Can I ask another question? I just ran the Belarc Advisor and received a very unexpected result. It said "Maxtor 53073U6 [Hard drive] (30.73 GB) -- drive 1, s/n K603QVGC, rev DA620CQ0, SMART Failure
WDC WD100EB-11BHF0 [Hard drive] (10.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA712640295, rev 15.15M15, SMART Status: Healthy"

I have two drives, the 10 GB is my 'C' drive and that's the one that I thought was failing. But this seems to say that it's my second drive, the Maxtor, that's failing. If I'm reading that correctly, I'm really confused now. You see, the problem that I have occurs when the system boots up. That's when I get an error message and the start up is HORRIDLY slow. Do you know why having my second drive go would affect how my computer boots up? My only guess would be that I must have something on that drive that the computer looks for during the boot, but how would I find out what that is?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

WDC WD100EB-11BHFO

WDC indicates a Western Digital brand hard drive.

WD100EB indicates the size of the drive-a quick search showed the drive is 10gb.

No clue what 11BHFO is.

You could do a test. Open the case, unhook the Maxtor drive. Reboot. Does the machine boot up faster without the Maxtor?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 March 2008 - 07:55 PM.

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Nope. Your failing drive is the Maxtor, not the Western Digital.

(Its usually the maxtors that are failing :thumbsup: )

What OS are you using?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I'll assume windows xp to save time.

Right click My Computer, and select Manage.
In the tree diagram on the right, expand the "Event Log" node.

Right click the System log, and select Save log as....

Save it somewhere you can find it (like your desktop)

Attach it in your next reply.

Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users