Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mudpuddle

mudpuddle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hello,
(Please bear with me during this post as I am extremely tired while typing this and keep getting brain freeze<-----Ahahaha!)

I have had a freezing problem since reformating PC a few weeks ago.

The problem is that the computer will freeze, whenever I play a game or try to run a scan. Usually within 10 minutes
The computer needs to be turned off completly at wall as not even keyboard works to bring up task manager.

There were no freezers during windows instalation and has never froze unless there is some sort of scan or game being played.

Never had this problem before reformating so I must have been doing something right previously.

Some PC Stats:

Processor:IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.00GHz
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Video Device: NIVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Physical Memory: 511MB

Main Circuit Board: Board: SiS-661
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

164.69 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
146.17 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

McAfee VirusScan Version 99.9.99

So far been unable to run a full McAfee scan and just about any game freezes from Hell of Sand to running games on Steam, Halo, WoW.

Also have Ad-aware and windows advanced care. Hasn't froze during ad-aware scan but has a few times with windows care.

All microsoft updates installed and scans and such are up to date also.

I suspect maybe a driver is out of date. Not sure how to check. My brother said he updated Nividia.

Any help would be much appreciated and once again I am sorry for any lack of information of where I am not clear anywhere. Probably I should have waited until more awake to post this.

Also like to add that cpu temperature was about 67.

Edited by mudpuddle, 03 March 2008 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

Are the temps in Fahrenheit or Celsius?
If Celcius, then you're overheating

Could also be your graphics card overheating - can you get temps on that?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mudpuddle

mudpuddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

I am posting from laptop right now but I will find out tomorrow and will post again.

How could I find out the temp on graphics card?

Thank you.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

Various different programs are available for this, but first you'd have to research if your graphics card supports temp monitoring.

The easies way is to unplug the system from the wall, open the case, and place your finger near (but NOT on) the graphics card cooler. If it's too hot you'll be able to feel it that way. You can also check to see if the fan on the card is running at that time (plug it back in for that).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

and also if you want to check for driver updates you can check all the drivers and the site they update from using this program

aida32

Edited by powerjuce, 03 March 2008 - 07:46 PM.

#6 mudpuddle

mudpuddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hello Again...

CPU Temp- 73 °C

System Temp- 41 °C

I tried running a full McAfee scan in safe mode and computer still froze. Haven't bothered trying any games today.

Still need to look into Graphics card temp monitoring.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

Your CPU is overheating - and that's most likely the cause of the freezes during periods of high CPU activity.

Check to make sure that the CPU cooler isn't clogged with dust, that it's firmly mounted to your CPU, and that the CPU fan is working.

#8 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

If the heatsink has come loose on the cpu, apply some fresh heat-conductive grease when you put it back together. Never ever power it up without the heatsink, that can cook it in a matter of seconds.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:13 PM

reboot into bios immediately after a freezeup and see what temp is reported there

software often reports a lower than true die temp

bios is more accurate, you cpu can only run for a short time at those high temps

they die soon that way
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 mudpuddle

mudpuddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hello...

I managed to stop the freezes. I cleaned all the dust from around the fan and no freezes after an hour of gameplay and was able to perform a full scan finally. Haven't been able to check temperature yet. Graphics card simply felt warm.

Only, when I moved PC back to desk, my brother hadn't pluged in monitor properly so a big spark emitted from monitor plug. Now monitor screen black after being turned on.

Highly depressing going from one problem to another.

*Dies*

Thank You all for your help.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

Try another monitor to see if it's the monitor or the video card that the sparks affected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users